Backend Rails Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to give every patient a guide in the healthcare system.
Karuna's software allows patients to stay in touch with their care teams using the same channels they use with friends and family: from Whatsapp and text messaging to voice calls and video. To handle the increased volume and quality of interactions, our automation tools help care teams prioritize, measure their performance, and cut through back office work so that they can focus on doing what they do best: building authentic relationships with the patients who need them most.
Our focus today is on care management, a niche part of the healthcare ecosystem dedicated to serving the most vulnerable and sickest members of our communities. In the future, we will enable healthcare organizations to build deeper, more impactful relationships with every patient, while also helping them expand the scope and accessibility of their services for all.
As a backend engineer at Karuna, you will work closely with our engineering and product teams and take responsibility for bringing Karuna's vision to life.
- Write code with a deeply technical eng team (co-founder / CTO and three product-focused full-stack engineers).
- Rapidly prototype new features, measure impact, and collaborate with an experienced product lead to update our roadmap.
- Take responsibility building, deploying, and maintaining a sophisticated Rails microservices architecture
- 3+ years of full-stack engineering experience
- Of these 3+ years, 2+ with Rails.
- Confidence with modern Ruby.
- Experience with a CI pipeline.
Skills We'd Like to See
- 1+ years experience at an early-stage startup.
- Experience with large scale, high-volume, production-quality messaging architecture.
- Experience with Electronic Health Record (EHR/EMR) integration.
- Demonstrated passion for healthcare and social impact.
- Comfortable working without a designer.
- Academic background in computer science (BA/BS or MS/PhD) or equivalent experience
Who You Are
- Have passion and drive for backend web systems. This is your craft.
- Actively choose progress over perfection.
- Possess a strong bias towards getting it done. You take initiative and don’t need to wait for permission.
- Deeply mission driven and motivated by empowering patients when they feel helpless, anonymous, and alone.
- Comfortable with, embrace, and thrive in uncertainty.
- Scrappy and able to build meaningful products with limited resources.
Why You Should Join Us
- Be on the ground floor of a rapidly growing company.
- Work with a Rails contributor, a skilled DevOps Engineer, and accomplished React developers.
- Have the autonomy to build something with a brilliant and enthusiastically supportive team.
- Learn best practices from world class investors and advisors including First Round Capital, Founder Collective, SV Angel, and BoxGroup.
- Shape the culture of engineering at Karuna.
Karuna Health is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture and celebrate authenticity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics.