New York City
Design + Product
Who We Are
Summer’s mission is to help the 45 million Americans burdened by student debt save time and money through smart, algorithm-based recommendations. Summer combines policy expertise and innovative technology to serve student loan borrowers across the country. Our founding team draws on years of experience in public policy, law, consumer finance, and engineering to tackle one of the greatest challenges of our generation.
We’re registered as a public benefit corporation as part of our commitment to helping all borrowers improve their financial health through better repayment strategies. We recently raised our Series A and are backed by a team of world-class investors, including General Catalyst, NextView, Greycroft, Foundation Capital, Story Ventures, and QED Investors—and our first partner is Yale University.
As a Product Designer, you will have the opportunity to use UX design and research to elevate Summer’s customer experience from end to end. You will collaborate with the product and marketing teams to imagine and deliver delightful experiences to our borrowers, partners, and internal users. Your role at Summer:
- Understand and optimize the user experience across various channels
- Advocate for student loan borrowers, ensuring that our products are user-friendly and intuitive
- Design and validate new user flows by testing your wireframes and prototypes
- Conduct and synthesize user research methods to validate designs
- Identify qualitative and quantitative insights from user research data and business analytics to improve product decisions
- Collaborate closely with multi-disciplinary teams, including design, engineering and product to develop elegant and practical solutions
- Adhere to our design system and brand guidelines, ensuring a high level of quality and establishing a consistent look and feel throughout the product
- Embrace change and ambiguity to solve real societal problems
- 5+ years of product/UX design experience for web including responsive design, preferably including time at an early-stage startup
- Experience designing for the web and understanding how to apply both form and function while maintaining simplicity
- Portfolio demonstrating your experience developing products from conception to code—from prototyping, user testing and rapid iteration cycles to communicating elegant visual solutions
- A deep understanding of composition, balance, symmetry, and white space
- Self-starter who actively seeks ways to make the Summer experience both visually appealing and easy to use
- Expertise in Sketch, InVision, Zeplin, Principle/Framer (After Effects experience a plus)
- Practical understanding of front-end programming to clearly communicate with engineers and translate your designs effectively into code
Your portfolio should include examples of your product design work that illustrate the entire process with successes and failures along the way and showcase your user-centered, data-informed design process.
Values + Benefits
We're proud to be a mission-driven company with an inclusive culture. Our greatest asset is the set of values our team strives to embody every day in our office (located next to Grand Central): empathy, diversity, growth, determination, humility, and fun. Read more about what these mean to us at https://www.meetsummer.org/careers.
We also offer significant equity allocations, healthcare coverage, and flexible vacation/PTO.
Sound interesting? We look forward to hearing from you. Join us to help fix the system!