Head of Developer Marketing
Developer Relations – Developer Relations /
About the company
Meilisearch is on a mission to help developers create great search experiences. We want to make it easy to find anything anywhere by providing a Rust-based search engine with a focus on usability and intuitive API design.
We are a fully open-source company: from our search engine, to our design specifications, to our official SDKs and libraries, everything we do is public, transparent, and made in collaboration with our vibrant community.
Founded in 2018, Meilisearch is headquartered in Paris. We completed a $15 million round of funding in September 2022, and are backed by leading international investors Felicis Ventures, CRV, LocalGlobe, Mango Capital, Seedcamp, and Vercel CEO Guillermo Rauch.
We are a team of 25 passionate people, and our project is growing fast. We have been developing our OSS search engine product since 2018, and have publicly monetized our Cloud offer for a few months 🎉
In order to boost and support our company's growth in the long run, we are looking for a Head of Developer Marketing to define and implement a marketing and communication strategy targeting developers, starting as soon as possible.
About the role
You will be part of the leadership team and report directly to one of Meilisearch’s founders. You will work transversally across the company, with teams such as Go-To-Market, Product, and Engineering, learning from each department's priorities and developments in order to integrate them into your strategy.
Managing a team of 2, you will work together on creating and implementing a developer marketing strategy focused on the visibility and adoption of our products. Your role will have a strong operational focus; you will be expected to work on some of the same things as your team does. This will include, among other things:
- Content Creation: Develop and distribute high-quality, developer-focused content such as technical talks, blog posts, demos, and videos. Ensure that all content is clear, concise, and directly addresses the company’s product needs and the interests of the developer community.
- Community Engagement: Engage with online and offline developer communities and forums, including Slack, GitHub, and StackOverflow, to build relationships, gather feedback, and promote Meilisearch.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Work closely with Engineering, Go-to-Market and Product teams, along with other key stakeholders to build a cohesive developer strategy and voice. Ensure alignment of developer marketing activities with overall company strategy and goals.
- Metrics and Analysis: Design, develop, and implement core metrics to gauge community growth and engagement success. Use data-driven approaches to optimize developer marketing activities and demonstrate impact.
- As part of the Leadership Team, you will also be expected to take part in shaping the overall company strategy and culture.
Our ideal profile
- Technical Expertise: you possess a deep understanding of the developer audience, including how they consume information, which communities to engage with, and what content types are most effective.
- Strong Communicator: Incredibly clear communicator with the ability to publicly story-tell and present technical topics to a developer audience. Excellent written communication skills are essential.
- Community Builder: Proven experience in building, engaging, and nurturing developer communities. Understand how to scale a community and manage its reputation.
- Data-Driven: Possess a data and audience-focused mindset, with the ability to use metrics to inform decisions and optimize activities. Understand the right developer marketing metrics to use.
- Developer Background: You have a background as a developer or engineer, or have significant experience engaging with developer communities.
- Adaptable and Creative: Quick to adapt to a fast-moving environment and able to balance strategic thinking with hands-on execution. Creative in approach and able to develop quirky and engaging campaigns.
- Leadership and Team Management: Experience in team management and able to build, inspire, and lead a high-performing team.
- Full proficiency in English
- Please send us your resume and a quick note of why you might be a good fit for this job.
- 1. Screening interview (45min) : If your profile fits, someone from the HR team will contact you for a video call to get to know you a bit better (who you are, your background & ambitions, company culture & company ambition). If it doesn't fit you will get an email from us.
- 2. Hiring Manager interview (1h) : you will meet your future manager and a team member. They will assess your technical fit with the role and ask you questions about your working methods.
- 3. Technical Assessment. We will ask you to complete an assignment and will schedule 45 min to debrief, to evaluate your skills and give you a better idea of what working at Meilisearch could be like.
- 4. Team-fit interview (1h) You will meet one or two people from teams you will engage with every day, to speak about your experience, and skillset and to assess your fit with Meilisearch values.
- 5. Reference check. At the same time, we will conduct a reference check with 2 people of your choosing, who you are working with or have worked with the past.
- 💡 Before the interviews, you can check our blog for advice on how to answer value-based questions.
- 🤝 Meilisearch is an equal-opportunity employer. We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community.
€144 - €160 a year
We have transparent salary grids, that you can check out here.
The range indicated for this role corresponds to the Total Cost for Company. The gross amount of your salary will vary depending on where you are located in the world. Check out more about the way our salaries are calculated in our handbook.
Why you'll enjoy working with us
- Permanent full-time contract,
- Stock options,
- We are open to fully remote applications, as long as you are between GMT-4 and GMT+5 time zones,
- 4 day work week & flexible working hours,
- If you’re working from home, we will provide either a stipend for you to equip yourself, or an access to Fleex (Europe). We also reimburse up to 500 EUR / month for your co working expenses,
- Access to a mental health platform (moka.care) + 6 sessions with a coach/trained therapist,
- We support physical health and provide either a membership or a stipend for your sports activities each month,
- 3 months paid parental leave,
- 6 weeks paid time off,
- Management training to freshly hired and newly appointed managers,
- We all get together at least once a year for a company offsite.
Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend not to apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We strive to develop an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our open-source community. We strongly encourage you to apply!