Sr. Accountant, Inventory & Cost Accounting
Toronto, ON /
Finance – Accounting /
Permanent (Full Time)
Mejuri is the category-defining fine jewelry brand redefining luxury, your way. Feeling disconnected from an industry that typically markets to men, co-founder and CEO Noura Sakkijha leveraged her learnings as a third-generation jeweler to rethink the way women purchase jewelry—for themselves. In only seven years, and with a team of over 75% women, Mejuri has shipped over one million orders and opened retail stores across the globe, all while introducing new products weekly.
As part of Noura’s original vision to empower women to invest in themselves, the brand launched the Empowerment Fund to support underrepresented women and non-binary individuals with the tools to empower themselves. Mejuri continues to reach new customers through exciting community initiatives and expansion into international markets, such as the UK, Australia and Germany.
We are a team of retailers, creatives, technologists and strategists, and we are looking for someone special to join our team.
Who you'll be working with:
Hi, my name is Guneet Brar, and I’m the Assistant Controller at Mejuri. In my role, I lead the Accounting function and ensure that our financials are grounded in accurate financial information. I recently joined Mejuri in August 2022, and was enticed by the potential for growth, to make an impact and to be a part of the amazing culture. I am looking for a Senior Accountant, Inventory and Cost Accounting, to join our Accounting team. This role will focus on overseeing Inventory and COGS accounting. In this role, you will have the opportunity to help Mejuri grow, meet its business objectives and work cross-functionally. We are looking for someone who is excited about process improvement and is passionate about being a trusted advisor to our commercial and supply chain teams. Did I also mention...you get to work with an amazing team where we love what we do and have fun while doing so!
As the Senior Accountant, Inventory and Cost Accounting, you will be responsible for ensuring the accuracy of inventory and cost of goods sold figures within financial reporting. Reporting to the Assistant Controller, you will work alongside the Financial Reporting, FP&A and Supply Chain teams to improve the accuracy of our reporting, reduce close timelines and create scalable efficient processes. You will influence and drive change within your cross-functional relationships and provide value-add insights to their operations. This role also involves significant cross-department work and communication.You are passionate about solving problems and are motivated by a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment.
What you'll do:
- Own Inventory/COGS accounting and reporting, including the monthly, quarterly, and annual financial close process, ensuring accurate and timely results are delivered to cross-functional leadership teams
- Own technical accounting related to Inventory and COGS, including fully landed costs, valuation, capitalization, inventory provisions.
- Provide recommendations consistent with corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with GAAP
- Identify and execute on initiatives to ensure the accuracy of Inventory and COGS accounting
- Drive continuous refinements in our accounting processes with a focus on efficiency while driving improved visibility into key metrics
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and own key processes and controls in the inventory procure to pay cycle; ensure compliance with internal controls requirements
- Act as liaison to the external auditors for relevant financial statement sections and other external service providers and own the successful completion of the year-end audit and other assurance engagements, as required
- Develop and execute on initiatives that contribute to the objective of building out the accounting team technology stack, specifically ERP, Accounting Management, and other system implementations
- Drive improvements in existing increase efficiencies, enhance processes and lead the implementation of new financial systems automate activities and reduce reporting timelines within the areas
- Inventory and COGS Partner cross-functionally with Commercial, Supply Chain, Data/Technology business unit leaders in a proactive and consultative manner to plan for new business initiatives and operational changes
What you bring to the team:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, including at least 3+ years of inventory accounting experience
- Excellent technical accounting and problem solving skills, and experience in analyzing, interpreting and providing a recommendation related to GAAP guidance over Inventory and COGS (ASPE 3031, ASC 300, IAS 2)
- Experience in managing COGS reporting related to inventory and product cost
- Proven track record of showing flexibility in addressing business challenges with cross functional partners, focusing on the impact to the company as a whole
Things we consider an asset:
- Experience implementing ERP/Accounting Management systems (NetSuite preferred)
- Experience with inventory management system (fulfill preferred)
- Experience with BI tools (Looker preferred)
Benefits at Mejuri:
• A minimum of three weeks vacation, plus personal days and three religious observance days.
• A hybrid work model for all corporate roles.
• ‘Mejuri Passport’ which allows employees who meet specific criteria to work in other locations for one month per year.
• Comprehensive medical and dental benefits, including mental health coverage, and generous personal and sick days for our full-time employees. We also offer bereavement leave, including miscarriage and stillbirth support.
• Parental leave salary top-up of up to 80%, as well as a personalized return-to-work transition and accommodation plan for full-time employees.
• Semi-annual performance reviews.
• Internal coaching department and learning and development to support career growth and plans for everyone.
• A generous product discount!
Please note that these benefits apply to full-time employees.
At Mejuri we embrace a hybrid working environment and support our corporate employees to be successful whether they are at home or in the office. The primary purpose of our offices is to drive collaboration and deepen relationships with one another.
Accommodation / Accessibility:
Mejuri does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, ancestry, colour, place of origin, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, family status or marital status, or any other protected category recognized by provincial or federal laws.
Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please share in your application.