Director of Engineering
New York City, NY /
Technology – Engineering /
Permanent (Full Time)
Mejuri is the category-defining fine jewelry brand redefining luxury, your way. Feeling disconnected from an industry that typically markets to men, co-founder and CEO Noura Sakkijha leveraged her learnings as a third-generation jeweler to rethink the way women purchase jewelry—for themselves. In only seven years, and with a team of over 75% women, Mejuri has shipped over one million orders and opened retail stores across the globe, all while introducing new products weekly.
As part of Noura’s original vision to empower women to invest in themselves, the brand launched the Empowerment Fund to support underrepresented women and non-binary individuals with the tools to empower themselves. Mejuri continues to reach new customers through exciting community initiatives and expansion into international markets, such as the UK, Australia and Germany.
We are a team of retailers, creatives, technologists and strategists, and we are looking for someone special to join our team.
Who you'll be working with:
Hi, my name is Rohit Nathany, and I'm the Chief Product & Technology Officer here at Mejuri. I am responsible for leading our overall Product and Engineering strategy to help business continue to grow like a rocketship. I joined Mejuri early 2022 and was really excited by the mission and product-led growth potential. I can tell you that the team has exceeded all my expectations! We have a lot more to do and I’m hyper-focused on finding the best talent to scale our tech organization.
I’m looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our consumer-facing initiatives. As a Director of Engineering, you'll be managing multiple cross-functional teams of engineers building product features and services for Mejuri’s customers. You’ll partner with the product managers to define the product delivery roadmap and help your teams to build great products. Reporting to our CPTO, you will set and ensure the upholding of high standards in engineering practices, across all areas (quality, reliability, scalability, customer focus, etc.).
What you'll do:
- Own and drive technology development, balancing between short-term delivery and long-term vision for your teams.
- Be part of the engineering leadership team and help set strategy and goals across multiple engineering teams.
- Work with product and design partners to identify the business areas where their teams can add value, and drive the team to deliver success in these areas.
- Hire, inspire, manage, and grow an engineering team of to 20 to 40 team members, ensuring every engineer has adequate growth opportunities.
- As Engineering lead, you are expected to provide valuable and timely feedback to your team, as well as conduct regular performance reviews.
- Set and ensure the upholding of high standards and software engineering best practices for quality, scalability and customer focus
- Play a key role in ensuring the ongoing alignment of our technology with the overall business strategy for the company
- Lead mission-oriented teams that deliver customer value early and often, diligently measuring results using KPIs and OKRs.
- Enable quick and accurate decision making within the team by facilitating discussions, as well as driving the team to be more autonomous and self-sufficient.
- Set and ensure the upholding of high standards in engineering practices, across all domains (quality, reliability, scalability, customer focus, etc.)
What you bring to the team:
- Relevant engineering experience in cloud based development with AWS, CI/CD, Kafka, Ruby/Rails, global scaling, and React.
- A technical background, demonstrated in past engineering leadership roles with a clear impact towards achieving business goals.
- Architecture abilities and the capacity to design resilient distributed systems that are flexible and scalable.
- Demonstrable past experience with Agile methodologies, with focus on data-driven experimentation, lean thinking and quick iterations.
- Proven track record of creative problem solving and the desire to create and build new processes.
- Ability to build effective and clear communication in a fast growing engineering organization.
- Proven ability to influence others and facilitate agreement among stakeholders with different interests.
- Experienced in managing multiple engineering teams and individual contributors. A successful candidate will be hands-on with the team to design and build the systems and align it on the company’s business goals.
Things we consider an asset:
- Experience with Ruby/Rails
- Experience working in a D2C company
- Experience scaling tech stack in a hyper-growth environment
Compensation: Looking for the perfect next opportunity is a big decision. Mejuri recognizes the importance of pay transparency when it comes to salary ranges as it empowers individuals through the hiring process and supports them in making an informed decision. This role will be for our New York, NY office with a base pay range of $200,000-$225,000 per year based on a candidate’s experience and qualifications.
Benefits at Mejuri:
• A minimum of three weeks vacation, plus personal days and three religious observance days.
• A hybrid work model for all corporate roles.
• ‘Mejuri Passport’ which allows employees who meet specific criteria to work in other locations for one month per year.
• Comprehensive medical and dental benefits, including mental health coverage, and generous personal and sick days for our full-time employees. We also offer bereavement leave, including miscarriage and stillbirth support.
• Parental leave salary top-up of up to 80%, as well as a personalized return-to-work transition and accommodation plan for full-time employees.
• Semi-annual performance reviews.
• Internal coaching department and learning and development to support career growth and plans for everyone.
• A generous product discount!
Please note that these benefits apply to full-time employees.
At Mejuri we embrace a hybrid working environment and support our corporate employees to be successful whether they are at home or in the office. The primary purpose of our offices is to drive collaboration and deepen relationships with one another.
Accommodation / Accessibility:
Mejuri does not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, ancestry, colour, place of origin, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, family status or marital status, or any other protected category recognized by provincial or federal laws.
Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please share in your application.