Strategy Director, Communications Strategy
New York City, New York /
Platforms and Media /
Who We Are:
Mekanism is an award-winning, independent, full-service advertising agency made up of creative entrepreneurs. With offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Seattle, we serve as collaborative business partners with some of the world’s best brands, including Ben & Jerry’s, Jose Cuervo, Peloton, Amazon, Charles Schwab and Alaska Airlines. Our creative approach to brand building is best described as “The Soul & Science of Storytelling”: Communicating a brand’s purpose with ideas informed by data and rooted in human truths.
Mekanism has been named to Ad Age’s “Agency A List” and twice to their “Best Places to Work”. We have also been listed on Creativity’s “The Creative 50” and have been recognized by Effie as one of the “Most Effective Independent Agencies”. We have been profiled by The New York Times, Fast Company and ABC’s Nightline. Mekanism’s campaigns have been covered and studied by Harvard Business School.
We take great pride in making unconventional campaigns for brands in conventional categories. Our patented blend of storytelling for emerging media takes a small army of Mekanistas to pull off. What is a Mekanista you ask? Being a Mekanista requires a rare combination of being a strange, wonderful and talented person who enjoys coffee, PingPong and impromptu rooftop jam and workout sessions. We are smart, strange, wonderful folks that brave our contentious and often spirited brainstorming sessions to make advertising magic.
The Job in a Nutshell:
THIS IS NOT A MEDIA JOB
The primary responsibility for the Strategy Director, Communications Strategy is to lead the strategic direction and integrated approach of the Communications / Connections discipline at Mekanism across all offices.
This role is responsible for bridging the gap between our Creative Department, Media & Performance (internal and external) departments. This means, pushing both our Creative, Brand Strategy, and Media team to put the consumer at the center of our strategy.
The Director and their team will act as the conductors of what creates positive, engaging brand experiences for the consumer, ensuring the strategy and creative are consumer-centric, and how a campaign will roll out across all touchpoints to create a story around the product or brand.
● Reports directly into the Head of Media, and indirectly reports into the Chief Strategy Officer.
● Directly manages a growing team of three Communications Strategists
● Works across client business in all four offices
Key Responsibilities of the Communications Department:
● Connections Planning: Coordinate with the media and social team to develop the connections strategy that ties together brand strategy, media strategy, and creative messaging. The connections strategy dictates how, when, and where we need to connect with the consumer to move them through the consumer journey and drive desired behaviors.
● Audience Definition & Analysis: An exploration and definition of the consumer we’re connecting with, through the lens of the category, brand and business problem.
● Consumer Personas: Provide a deep understanding of the individual, their attitudes, barriers, needs, and behaviors to inform people-centered comms.
● Consumer Journey: Our visual representation of the consumer’s experience within the category, with the brand and with media. It articulates the decision making process - inclusive of emotional, rational, and contextual factors.
● Communications Framework: High-level plan that leverages the consumer journey and outlines how we’ll change behaviors and attitudes. This will connect the creative territory and the media & channel plans, and serve as the basis for executional creative briefs.
● Ecosystem Rollout / Experience Plan: Work with the creative, media, and social team to ensure coherence within the campaign across consumer touchpoints.
● Creative Briefs: Co-Author creative briefs in conjunction with the Brand Strategy leads. This includes both strategic (inspirational territory briefs) and tactical (deliverable / execution based) briefs that are rooted in consumer truths.
What it Takes to Succeed:
● Passion. We have built over the last decade a team of experts in their field who are passionate about doing good work
● Kindness, patience, flexibility, and a certain ‘weirdness’ that will contribute a diverse point of view
● A shared vision of our integrated Communication Strategy Department as the conductors of how a creative strategy lives in the world
● Well versed in new media channels, including digital, mobile, and social
● Experience with both tactical communications applications and integrated creative communications strategy
● Comfortable educating creative, brand, and/or strategy teams on the value of comms strategy"
● Proven track record of success in client facing roles
● Experience pitching, and winning new business
● A clear understanding of how to scale / tailor our communications offering to various client needs