Research Associate (Cell Biology)
Commercial – Cell Biology /
Mekonos is a company dedicated to making personalized therapies more accessible.
Our mission is to build the future of cell therapies on a chip and we are building the first-of-its-kind digital cell-engineering platform. Our universal delivery strategy utilizes a scalable silicon chip architecture to deliver molecular cargo into cells ex vivo at high throughput with exceptional yield. This novel approach enables the parallel engineering of cells for direct applications in precision medicine, synthetic biology, and fundamental science.
We are an interdisciplinary team of individuals passionate about solving some of the world’s most difficult technical challenges in medicine. As a company, we think great ideas should embody elegance and scalability, and we believe that diversity is at the root of every great innovation. With backgrounds in cell biology, materials chemistry, electrical and mechanical engineering, physics, computer science and business, we are brought together by our curiosity and passion for solving difficult technical problems. As part of our team, you will work at the intersection of biology and engineering developing cutting-edge technologies with direct commercial applications in precision medicine.
This is a new position within our growing biology team that will play a crucial role in helping us to develop our cell engineering platform. The individual in this role will be responsible for working with our biology team to complete proof-of-concept experiments and application development. Additionally, this individual will be working within a highly interdisciplinary and collaborative team of engineers and scientists, where their expertise will be instrumental in providing feedback on how to best design and utilize our ex vivo delivery system.
This is an on-site role, based in Berkeley, CA
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about our mission and values, please consider applying.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Integrate into the Mekonos team and learn about our unique technology
- Learn about our current projects and processes
Within 2 months, you will:
- Learn how to culture and work with the mammalian cells in our projects
- Assist with cell engineering and molecular biology experiments
Within 3 months, you will:
- Start utilizing our technology to begin cell engineering experiments
- Contribute with project progression
Within 4-6 months, you will:
- Provide feedback on how to improve our products in cross-functional meetings
- Identify and begin to develop protocols for unique applications of our technology
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have a growth mindset, embracing challenges, welcoming feedback, and seeing effort as the path to mastery.
- You believe that you and others can always learn and grow.
- You take ownership and initiative to find solutions and focus on what must be done to create success.
- You think critically and have demonstrated experience in tackling challenging problems.
- You’re excited to be a part of and help shape an inclusive culture.
AND you have acquired the following skills and education:
- B.S. in molecular cell biology, chemical biology, biochemistry, or a related field
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and molecular cell biology techniques (PCR, gel electrophoresis, plasmid purification, etc.)
- An understanding of assay development and biological analysis techniques, including flow cytometry
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills for cross-disciplinary collaboration
For this role, the base salary is $90,000 USD.
● Work on challenging problems with massive impact
● Competitive compensation package, including stock options
● Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance to meet the needs of you and your dependents, with no premium cost.
● Opportunities for rapid growth, supported by a dedicated training and development budget
● Flexible work schedule
● Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and live our values everyday.
At Mekonos, we believe true innovation starts with diversity; that’s why we're proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Mekonos recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
If this opportunity sounds like it was tailor made for you, please reach out even if you don't have everything on our wish list. We are a growing company and searching for exceptional team members to help us along the way. We would love to hear from you.
A note on our Company policies that impact you:
1. Please note that consistent with Company policy, any offer of employment will be conditioned upon (prior to the employment start date) providing satisfactory proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, or requesting and obtaining approval from the Company for a reasonable accommodation exemption based upon (a) disability or other medical reasons; or, (b) sincerely-held religious beliefs or practices.
2. Mekonos is an e-verify employer and will comply with all the requirements of the program. However, we are not able to support visa sponsorship requests at this time.