Embedded Linux Solution Engineer
Boston, MA /
Product & Engineering /
Memfault is seeking an embedded software engineer to join as an Embedded Linux Solutions Engineer. You’ll be working with others on the Developer Experience team to build out Memfault’s embedded Linux SDK, written in Rust/C/C++. You’ll also be working with cutting-edge IoT companies as they integrate Memfault for the first time or add support for newly built features.
NOTE: We are open to employees working outside of Boston, Massachusetts. We have monthly team gatherings in Boston and bi-annual company off-sites around the world, both of which applicants would attend.
- Collaborate with customer-facing and product teams and architect and implement SDK improvements in code that satisfy rigorous performance and size limitations.
- Engage directly with firmware engineers at cutting-edge hardware companies and work together to overcome issues integrating the Memfault platform.
- Build out and improve reference examples and SDK documentation.
- Contribute to the growing suite of unit, automated, and emulator tests to ensure that improvements work reliably and regressions don’t slip into production.
- Ship code early and often to customers. You’ll begin to constantly notice devices that are running your code out in the wild!
- Work on an amazingly deep stack: firmware, operating systems, mobile, web.
- Have a major impact on our product, our infrastructure, our culture and our business.
Why you may be a fit
- You love teaching and solving problems, and want to have a major impact on our product, business, and our culture.
- You have 3+ years of experience C/C++/Rust code that runs on embedded Linux devices, typically on Arm CPUs.
- You are well-versed in Yocto or buildroot.
- You are passionate about modern developer practices, such as automated software testing and CI/CD.
- You are a great communicator, both conversationally and in written form. You can demonstrate credibility to technical buyers and articulate value to business stakeholders.
- You are organized and efficiently manage your time and priorities.
- You are caring and kind: other people do better when they work with you.
Even better if you have
- Experience with developing firmware on MCUs or Android
- Experience with Python and/or SQL
If you are hired into our Boston work location, the compensation range for this position is between $100,000 and $170,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary may vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. Incentives such as bonuses may be available for this position for the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
We offer full benefits (health, vision, dental, 401k), unlimited PTO, and competitive pay and equity packages. Learn more about benefits and our company values - >
We want you (yes, you!) to apply
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Memfault is the first IoT reliability platform that empowers teams to build more robust devices at scale. Today hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing and what issues are driving the majority of field failures; with Memfault, they can operate with the same speed and agility as software organizations. Companies like Lyft, Logitech, Bose, Whoop, and Verkada use Memfault's performance monitoring, device debugging, and OTA update capabilities to ship fast and build high-quality products. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus and is backed by Stripes, Uncork Capital, Partech, the 5G Innovation Lab, S28 Capital, and Y Combinator.
Memfault recently closed a $24M Series B funding round announced on January 24, 2023. Learn more ->