Backend Engineer - Python
Memfault is seeking a Senior Backend Engineer to join our engineering team. Our tight-knit team manages a platform that stretches from the metal to the cloud and enables millions of devices to work without a hitch.
You'll be working with a team of generalists and on a very large technology stack: we're not the typical web startup. We do everything from SDKs for microcontrollers, to large-scale data pipelining in the backend, to complex custom charting in the frontend.
We're a small but experienced team who has worked at startups, scale-ups, and includes former principal engineers at large tech companies. Our development process encourages and provides training for you to contribute to as many areas of our technology stack as you’re interested in.
- Onboard as a backend developer, and over the long term, work on the parts of our huge technology stack and the technical challenges that interest you.
- Start with simple, pragmatic solutions and iterate quickly.
- Help bring modern development tools & practices to a whole software engineering discipline.
- Have a major impact on our product, our infrastructure, our culture and our business.
- Caring, kind, low ego: other people do better when they work with you
- A backend developer with 5+ years of experience building web applications
- Well versed with, and enthusiastic about Python backends
- Passionate about building good products that deliver value to end users
- Excited to learn more about hardware and embedded software
- Proven experience in building scalable backends in Python (Django, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Celery, PostgreSQL, Clickhouse, TimescaleDB, Redis, AWS, Docker a plus)
Why you'll love being an engineer at Memfault:
- We're proud to have a strong engineering culture — after all, we make developer tools and have 3 technical co-founders!
- We work on interesting technical challenges: We’re set up as a team of generalists and have a very large technology stack, far more broad than the typical web startup. We do everything from SDKs for microcontrollers, to large-scale data pipelining in the backend, to complex custom charting in the frontend.
- We offer strong mentorship: We have a small but very experienced team who has worked at startups, scale-ups, and includes former principal architects at large tech companies. You will have the chance to work directly with those people! Our development process encourages and provides training for you to contribute to as many areas of our technology stack as you’re interested in.
- We offer regular opportunities to rotate across teams - sometimes, our engineers try on different hats several times in a year! We want to make sure each team member is getting ample opportunity to challenge and stretch themselves, explore technologies that interest them, work across different parts of the business, and expand their skillsets.
- We offer both fully-flexible remote work and opportunities to build in-person relationships: Fully remote, fully in-office and hybrid all a-OK. We are set up as a fully remote company, but we encourage people to come into the office to build relationships. We also have company-wide offsites once a year.
We want you (yes, you!) to apply
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested: we’d love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Memfault is the first IoT reliability platform that empowers teams to build more robust devices at scale. Today hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing, and what issues are driving the majority of field failures, with Memfault they can operate with the same speed and agility as software organizations. Companies such as Logitech, Bose, Whoop, and Verkada use Memfault’s performance monitoring, device debugging, and OTA update capabilities to ship fast and build high quality products. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus, and is backed by fantastic investors such as YCombinator and Uncork Capital.