Mendix is on a mission to enable anyone in any organization – from the marketing coordinator to the software developer to the CEO – to create things that are transformational for their company. We are fundamentally reinventing the way applications are created and we’re reinventing the future of software development. Sounds ambitious, right? We agree.
Not to brag, but nearly 4,000 organizations worldwide, including KLM, Medtronic, Merck, and Philips, rely on Mendix to build web and mobile applications. Thousands of our customers use our platform to delight their clients and empower their employees. It’s no surprise that we’re a recognized Leader by Gartner and Forrester in a red-hot market expected to exceed $21 billion by 2022. Ok, maybe we did want to brag a little. But we’re proud of what we’ve accomplished…and…we’re humble enough to admit that we need you to make us even more effective.
What is our analytics center of excellence (COE)?
Mendix has doubled in size in only a year and a half. As such, the need for analytics insights and automation are becoming increasingly important. The Analytics Center of Excellence will be providing different business units with dedicated partners that create new analytics products and insights to improve the performance of their units and make the rights decisions.
The COE is supported by two Technical Data Engineering teams who are responsible for the Mendix’s data landscape (one datalake team and one data warehouse team). You will be a valuable member of the Data Warehouse and Engineering team. The team is currently being formed, so you will be one of the first members of the team. But this is a key investment area where we plan to hire several people to form a fully functioning team within the year.
Are you the experienced Data Engineer that can help us build the foundation for Mendix’s Analytics Center of Excellence? Do you have experience building data warehouses, creating architectural designs, doing ETL, and crafting datamarts that form the basis for reporting and advanced analytics? Then we are looking for you.
We are looking for someone who can help create the data transformation and warehousing strategy for our Center of Excellence. Once data is in our datalake, we need to decide what we do with it. We hope that you will bring in best practices and experience that will help us use and transform data in the right way. We are not necessarily looking to create a traditional data warehouse, but we are looking for an infrastructure and strategy that will help us report on metrics and data consistently and accurately.
You will be one of the first members of the team. Your role will be to help setup the infrastructure and create all the necessary data transformation and reporting layers to help our analysts create BI solutions that are nicely aligned with one another. Your team’s data warehouse solution should be the central source of truth for all reporting.
Currently the analysts dive into a lot of raw data themselves. This takes time, and also means that not all reports are fully aligned at times. This is something your team is going to solve.
Mentoring other members of the COE and helping build the foundation of our COE best practices will also be an important part of your role. We are looking for people with new ideas and several years of experience that can help enrich the COE.
- Helping make decisions about what type of cloud data infrastructure solutions we should adopt within the data engineering team & implementing these solutions
- Helping decide how our data transformation infrastructure is organized (e.g. how do we store metrics, how do we store raw data, how do we store other transformed datasets)
- Working together with data analysts to operationalize KPIs and other metrics
- Transforming data using SQL, R, Python, or any other tool or language that you think would be best
- Setting up quality checks on the solutions you provide to ensure that our reporting and data is
- Creating automated solutions that reporting data is readily available on a recurring basis (not necessarily real time, but the closer we can get to that, the better)
- Mentoring and teaching younger members of the COE
- Introducing new techniques, tools, and best practices for the COE
- Relevant experience (5+ years) with:
- Data processing languages or scripting languages such as: SQL, R or Python
- Designing ETL processes
- Creating and maintaining large complex data sets that meet business requirements
- Data modelling / data warehousing / cube development / database design
- Working with cloud solutions (AWS preferred)
- Working with both structured and unstructured data
- Experience (5+ years) with coordinating with data analysts / business analysts to help operationalize KPIs and Metrics
- Experience with working in an agile environment
- Experience with quickly learning about and familiarizing yourself with different business domains (ability to show a clear understanding of “what’s behind the data”)
- Some experience with stakeholder management between different business units and
- management levels
- Experience with mentoring and/or teaching subject matter to colleagues
- Able to speak fluent English
- Speaking Dutch is a plus, but not required
Our team is relatively young, therefore we are looking for people that can bring industry best practices into the COE and have several years of experience working in an agile work environment. If you have several years of experience in a data engineering related role and you are eager to bring your experience in a young, thriving, and quickly scaling organization, then you are the person we are looking for!
Our Guiding Principles
While we live on different continents, speak different languages, and work on different things, we are bound by our “MendixBlue” guiding principles. Being “MendixBlue” means that you live the culture, and you consistently improve it as we grow. It’s kind of a big deal.
We put the customer first. Without our customers, we have no business. So, if you act in the best interest of our customers, always…you belong here.
We think big. We work to have a meaningful, lasting impact on the world. So, if you aim high and think long term…you belong here.
We innovate. We want to be what happens next. So, if you ask “what if?” and work to find a way or make one…you belong here.
We nurture talent. We look, not just at the sum of what an individual has done, but at the potential of who they can be. So, if you’re up for learning from your failures…you belong here.
We hear every voice. Inflated egos don’t last here, humility does. So, if you share credit and ensure that the best ideas win – regardless of who they come from…you belong here.
We own it. If something needs doing, we do it. So, if you focus on the outcome, and take initiative to get it done…you belong here.
We have fun. We use laughter as a common language. We can ask for help and we’re happy to give it. So, if you find joy and purpose in what you do…you belong here.
Make your career at Mendix.
There are precious few jobs that let you create the future. But you’ll find one at Mendix. We are at a pivotal time in our company’s existence: where rapid growth meets stable funding. This is the time for industrious people to raise their hands to solve the next generation of problems. Mendix is a place where ambitious people can thrive; where you can identify an issue, propose a solution, and build the structure to make it happen.
Important to know: Mendix is a Siemens business, which means we’re backed by the resources and stability of one of the world’s largest and most forward-looking enterprises. Think: job security.
Since our company was founded in 2005, our aim has been to create a great work environment for people at all stages in their careers. That’s why we are so pleased and honored that we were rated a top Cloud Computing Company to work for in 2019, based on feedback from our employees on Glassdoor. With offices in the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, and the US, (and more coming), we provide an international playground to truly impact the world through low-code.