Medior Data Analyst
Mendix is on a mission to enable anyone in any organization – from the marketing coordinator to the software developer to the CEO – to create things that are transformational for their company. We are fundamentally reinventing the way applications are created and we’re reinventing the future of software development. Sounds ambitious, right? We agree.
Not to brag, but nearly 4,000 organizations worldwide, including KLM, Medtronic, Merck, and Philips, rely on Mendix to build web and mobile applications. Thousands of our customers use our platform to delight their clients and empower their employees. It’s no surprise that we’re a recognized Leader by Gartner and Forrester in a red-hot market expected to exceed $21 billion by 2022. Ok, maybe we did want to brag a little. But we’re proud of what we’ve accomplished…and…we’re humble enough to admit that we need you to make us even more effective.
Are you the experienced Medior Data Analyst to help create Mendix’s analytics center of excellence? Do you have a good view on what an analytics center of excellence within a pioneering tech company should look like? Then we are looking for you.
What is our analytics center of excellence (COE)?
Mendix has doubled in size in only a year and a half. As such, the need for analytics insights and automation are becoming increasingly important. The analytics center of excellence will be providing different business units with dedicated partners that create new analytics products and insights to improve the performance of their units and make the rights decisions.
The COE is supported by a technical data engineering team who are responsible for the Mendix’s data landscape (think datalake & data warehouse). The COE is still relatively small and currently consists of 4 analysts, however analytics has been recognized as an incredibly important area of investment by Mendix’s management. Therefor we will be hiring several new analysts in the COE this year and hope to more than double the size of the team by the end of the year.
What job would you be applying for?
The role of a Medior Data Analyst varies quite a bit per organization. In our case, we’re looking for people that can partner up with the business and come up with solutions and insights that will help them make better decisions and become more efficient. As a data analyst in the COE you will be dedicated to a specific business unit. You will also support another analyst as a backup for a second business unit. You will work closely together with that unit to learn the domain knowledge necessary to help create useful analytics solutions together with them.
Mentoring other members of the COE and helping build the foundation of our COE best practices will also be an important part of your role. We are looking for people with new ideas and several years of analytics experience that can help enrich the COE.
You are a Medior Data Analyst that can help shape our new center of excellence. Our team of analysts is relatively young, therefore we are looking for people that can bring industry best practices into the COE and have several years of experience working in an agile work environment. If you have several years of experience in a data analytics related role and you are eager to bring your experience in a young, thriving, and quickly scaling organization, then you are the person we are looking for!
A handful of activities that you can expect to be working on throughout a normal work week:
- Scoping and challenging analytics requests from the business;
- Brainstorming about new ideas for the business;
- Helping the business define, create and operationalize their KPIs;
- Building operational and management level dashboards in Power BI;
- Transforming data using SQL, R or Python;
- Designing and doing in depth research with large raw datasets;
- Applying statistical techniques to metrics and hypotheses to prove significance of results;
- Presenting your findings and actionable recommendations or analytics products to the business;
- Coming up with enablement strategies for analytics products;
- Mentoring and teaching younger members of the COE;
- Introducing new techniques, tools, and best practices for the COE.
- KPI creation, target setting, forecasting, operationalization;
- Data processing languages or scripting languages such as: SQL, R or Python;
- BI tooling such as Power BI, Tableau, QlikSense or BI dashboard creation using languages such as Python or Shiny
- Research and hypothesis design;
- Creating, implementing, releasing, and enabling the business in using analytics products such as: automated health score or priority systems, account based marketing, smart chat bots, automated notifications triggered by changes in metrics, forecasting models, prediction models, clustering systems, or other analytics related techniques or products;
- Experience with low code (app) development;
- Experience (5+ years) with presenting analytics solutions or actionable insights from research to management;
- Experience presenting analytics solutions or actionable insights from research to high level executives;
- Experience with working in an agile scrum environment;
- Experience with gathering requirements from the business;
- Experience with challenging business partners to uncover the right requirements and clearly scope requests or ideas;
- Experience with quickly learning about and familiarizing yourself with different business domains;
- Experience with stakeholder management between different business units and management levels;
- Experience with mentoring and/or teaching subject matter to colleagues;
- Able to speak fluent English;
- Speaking Dutch is a plus.
Personal character traits:
- A good understanding of business needs and the ability to act accordingly, taking measured risks into account and the ability to take the organization to a next maturity level;
- The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures, people). Absorb new information readily and to put it into practice effectively;
- Assertiveness; the ability to bring one’s views across clearly without damaging the relationship with stakeholders;
- Creativity; the ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters;
- The ability to ask further with the ambition to deeply understand other perspectives and views in order to generate support.
Our Guiding Principles
While we live on different continents, speak different languages, and work on different things, we are bound by our “MendixBlue” guiding principles. Being “MendixBlue” means that you live the culture, and you consistently improve it as we grow. It’s kind of a big deal.
We put the customer first. Without our customers, we have no business. So, if you act in the best interest of our customers, always…you belong here.
We think big. We work to have a meaningful, lasting impact on the world. So, if you aim high and think long term…you belong here.
We innovate. We want to be what happens next. So, if you ask “what if?” and work to find a way or make one…you belong here.
We nurture talent. We look, not just at the sum of what an individual has done, but at the potential of who they can be. So, if you’re up for learning from your failures…you belong here.
We hear every voice. Inflated egos don’t last here, humility does. So, if you share credit and ensure that the best ideas win – regardless of who they come from…you belong here.
We own it. If something needs doing, we do it. So, if you focus on the outcome, and take initiative to get it done…you belong here.
We have fun. We use laughter as a common language. We can ask for help and we’re happy to give it. So, if you find joy and purpose in what you do…you belong here.
Make your career at Mendix.
There are precious few jobs that let you create the future. But you’ll find one at Mendix. We are at a pivotal time in our company’s existence: where rapid growth meets stable funding. This is the time for industrious people to raise their hands to solve the next generation of problems. Mendix is a place where ambitious people can thrive; where you can identify an issue, propose a solution, and build the structure to make it happen.
Important to know: Mendix is a Siemens business, which means we’re backed by the resources and stability of one of the world’s largest and most forward-looking enterprises. Think: job security.
Since our company was founded in 2005, our aim has been to create a great work environment for people at all stages in their careers. That’s why we are so pleased and honored that we were rated a top Cloud Computing Company to work for in 2019, based on feedback from our employees on Glassdoor. With offices in the Netherlands, the UK, Germany, and the US, (and more coming), we provide an international playground to truly impact the world through low-code.