Software Development Manager
Technical – R&D /
Mendix is a low-code app development platform:
First, what is low-code? Low-code is a visual approach to software development that enables you to abstract and automate every step of the application lifecycle. Gartner predicts that “by 2024, low-code application development will be responsible for more than 65% of application development activity.” Mendix is repeatedly ranked a Leader in analyst reports from Gartner and Forrester. In the 2021 Gartner® Magic Quadrant for Multiexperience Development Platforms, Mendix placed at the very top of the Leaders quadrant.
Mendix, the global leader in enterprise low-code, was created to promote collaboration between Business & IT teams. Thousands of forward-thinking companies around the world like Ford Auto, Rabobank Netherlands, Zurich Insurance, and Red Bull, can unleash their best ideas faster with the help of the Mendix Platform.
Mendix is a Siemens Business:
Siemens is a Top 10 Global Software Company and a leader on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World! With the acquisition of Mendix in 2018, Siemens Digital Industries Software is driving transformation to enhance the digital enterprise where engineering, manufacturing and electronics meet the future of innovation. Mendix employees have the opportunity to work in a hyper-growth environment with the support of Siemens’ unbeatable market position and resources.
Do you want to be part of a fast-growing company on a mission to change the future of software development with the goal to help society to innovate faster? Please read further!
We are looking for a Software Development Manager who wants to join our journey and can help to lead and coach multiple development teams through empowerment and continuously improving.
In this role your main challenges will be:
- Creating exceptional teams through; hiring the right people, and retaining them
- To foster a work environment where customer value gives guidance to our decision making
- Increasing value creation through fast delivery
- To maintain an agile, result-oriented, and fun environment that continues the tradition at Mendix as an employer for the best and brightest engineers
- You will be responsible for HR, culture, and employee happiness. Together with the other Software Development Managers you need to make sure Mendix R&D is a great place to work
- You are responsible for the product delivery process with a specific focus on the overall product quality and security processes
- You will continuously improve all processes within Mendix R&D - We are not dogmatic; we want to stay adaptive and eager to learn
- You will act as a people manager for teams that do not have a dedicated team lead yet
- You collaborate with other departments to make sure R&D can keep focus
- You will be responsible for prioritizing the development workload against the incoming support tickets together with the team leads, making sure the focus is at the right thing
- You will be responsible for maintaining transparency within the teams and different processes around it
- You will be responsible for managing stakeholders on different levels
- You are not a “high-level spreadsheet manager”, but hands-on, pragmatic, part of the team, a natural leader
- You have experience with quality processes in a multi-team agile environment with a focus on continuous delivery
- You know how to keep your teams focused while they also maintain their code in production
- You enjoy rhythm/cadence, and you have enduring discipline to create this with good time-management skills and “Getting Things Done” approach
- You have the ability to continuously improve your own thinking (and that of others) around agile software development (e.g. thought leadership via blogs or social media)
- A good 10 years of experience in software engineering, including hands-on programming skills
- Have the skills and creativity to create (and keep) a great place to work for highly skilled professionals
Experience a culture like no other at Mendix
We value the start-up culture that has brought us so much success. We are a tech company, not a project-oriented organisation. You have been in software product development long enough to understand what makes your colleagues tick. How to contribute to an environment where there are as few impediments as possible to get stuff done. And you know how to strike a balance between the individual's and team's needs and the objectives that we jointly will achieve.
We have a culture where we’re focused on results – not “boxes” and “rules”. We also have a relaxed environment with the coolest office in the Netherlands + great view of the Erasmusbrug.
People take ownership and enjoy as much freedom as possible. This means there’s as little process as we can get away with, because we don't want to get in your way. We also strive to stay as flat as possible. Do you have an issue? Walk right into our CTO's office and bring it up.
Everyone is appreciated for their skills and ideas, regardless of background or mother tongue. Where you have the flexibility to take care of a family member.
We have monthly crafting days that allow you to explore side projects or try out cool new technologies and share our experiences with the rest of the organisation.
Working for Mendix and with our Customers means your reliability has to be beyond any doubt, and therefore every employment is subject to an onboarding screening and the condition precedent a Certificate of Conduct is provided that demonstrates you did not commit any offences that are relevant to the performance of your function.