Special Education Teacher
Chicago, IL - Chatham /
Classroom Instruction – Special Ed Teacher /
As a Special Education Teacher with The Menta Group, you will collaborate with the clinical staff and other members of the academic team in creating and implementing classroom interventions in order to meet the individual academic and social/emotional needs of the students.
10 Month School Calendar
Hiring for All Grade Levels K-21, Small Self-Contained Rooms (10 students max)
Hours: 6:45 am to 2:15 pm, M-F, following a school calendar
Benefit Options & Generous Paid Benefit Time Off!
Direct Hire with our school: Return School Year after School Year (no annual contract)
- Teach all subjects in a self-contained classroom.
- Classroom sizes are at or near 10 students with paraprofessional support in the room.
- Grade Level taught will depend upon the position for which you've applied. We may need you to be flexible on grade level during the school year.
- Provide a differentiated learning environment.
- Work collaboratively with staff, including curriculum and clinical staff to yield positive results for the students.
- Have the freedom and ability to personalize learning.
- Provide a social-emotional learning environment.
- IL PEL (Professional Educator's License; out-of-state applicants will need to apply for IL certification) with LBS1 Certification or Other Teacher Certification (Non-Substitute)
- General Education Professional Educator’s License or Secondary Education (PEL) with a desire to obtain your Special Education Certification (LBS1).
- Comprehensive training, experience, and mentoring in curriculum area.
- Ability to teach a self-contained classroom within all basic instructional areas.
- Ability to work with youth with emotional/behavioral/academic difficulties.
- Must be flexible, work in teams and creatively problem solve.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively.
- Benefit options include: Medical, Dental, Vision, and Supplemental Insurance Programs
- Medical Insurance enrollment is available to full time employees on their date of hire. No waiting period.
- 10 Month School Position with 12 Month Semi-Monthly Pay
- Generous Paid Time Off Benefits
- 403(b) Investment Options
- Negotiable Sign-On Bonus for Certified Special Education Teachers
Menta Academy Chicago South
Menta Academy Chicago South (MACS) is proud to serve and work in collaboration with the students and families of the Southside of Chicago. MACS provides academic and social emotional educational programming for students in 5-21 years old. Day in and day out, MACS staff and students challenge themselves to grow on yesterday's skills. All progress, even the seemingly small, are enthusiastically celebrated with staff, students, and families; we acknowledge that any step forward is a step in the right direction; after all, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
More than just staff and students, MACS is a family within itself; as a family, we lift each other up, we hold each other accountable, and we demonstrate care and compassionate through the celebrations and challenges.
More About The Menta Group
The Menta Group’s mission is “To provide innovative solutions to critical problems in education and human services.” Menta brings a framework of educational practices that have been designed and are supported through evidence based practices. Menta’s collaborative process with various school and community stakeholders has resulted in programs designed to educate, support, challenge, empower and celebrate students who present with a range of academic, social and emotional needs. At the beginning of a student’s experience with Menta, a collaborative meeting is held that includes the student, significant people in their lives, Menta staff and other professionals as appropriate. During that meeting, a comprehensive assessment of the student’s past, present and future desires is used to establish a student centered plan (MAP) that serves as a foundation of the student’s Menta programming. A guiding principle of Menta is ‘we do not give up’, while also holding our students and staff to high expectations. The educational offerings at a Menta program provides students with a quality education that is designed to nurture and enhance the skills and maturity needed to meet the challenges of being productive adults and citizens in a rapidly changing 21st century world.
Menta’s programs utilize a unique curricular framework that relies on the Expanded Menta Method and Trauma Informed Practices as the foundational principles for the teaching, counseling and mentoring work done by our highly trained staff. Personalized learning is the hub of our strategic curricular design intended to meet the needs of every student. Starting with the end in mind (learning targets and academic goals), a leveraging of current technologies coupled with highly trained instructional facilitators creates a rich learning environment supporting all student needs. Menta’s learning spaces are unique and specially designed to combine traditional teacher/student interaction with state of the art technology and learning innovations. Those learning spaces are flexible and can accommodate a variety of learning activities, such as inquiry learning and project based learning. Our spaces are designed to mimic productive spaces learners would find in business and/or corporate environments, thereby helping students achieve a mind-set designed for adult learning and work.
Professional Associations and/or Partnerships
The Menta Group affiliates are members/partners with CEC, CASE, Autism Speaks, ASBA, AAPSEC, AASA, CCSSO, SEAA, ASCD, and many more associations that focus on the education of children with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Menta Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Menta Group ensures equal employment opportunities regardless of race, creed, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or disability. The District has a policy of active recruitment of qualified minority teachers and non-certified employees. Any individual needing assistance in making application for any opening should contact the district office.