Sr. Software Engineer - Web
Millbrae, CA /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a senior web frontend engineer, you will design, architect, and build web applications for our partner organizations, 3rd party developers and end consumers.
Merit’s web apps are built using React and TypeScript. Our mobile apps are built using React Native and TypeScript. Our backend is implemented mostly in Scala, and some in NodeJS. We use GraphQL to communicate between our apps and backend. We also built REST APIs for our 3rd party developers. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Google Cloud Datastore, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Own entire portions of our web apps and be part of the journey all the way from ideation, to working with Product & UX, performing technical design, implementation to production deployment, while making technical decisions that impact the success of the company
- Work as a full stack engineer using TypeScript and React for web frontend, and implement the necessary backend services using Scala, NodeJS and GraphQL
- Integrate with tools like Sentry and MixPanel to provide visibility, real-time user analytics and business intelligence to Merit’s Engineering and business teams
- Ensure that the deployment process is as automated as possible and participate in production deployments as on-call engineer
- Learn through code reviews, technical guidance, and mentorship, and help others grow through those same means
- Learn to identify opportunities to compound the growth and efficiency of our team
- Build a flawless developer experience with interactive documentation and examples, clean interfaces and dashboards, and beautiful widgets
- Build infrastructure to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc
- 4-7 years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience as full stack engineer building beautiful web apps, preferably using React
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.