Staff Software Engineer - Backend
Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations - including government agencies and nonprofits - use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits, and permission them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Merit has been widely adopted and used by numerous organizations:
-The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50
Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
-BARBICIDE® partnered with Merit to provide digital credentials to beauty professionals worldwide, exceeding two million digital, portable, shareable BARBICIDE® merits sent to date through Merit’s verified identity platform. The merits are granted for completion of BARBICIDE’s widely utilized courses on safety standards and best-practices.
-Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture,
products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
●Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
●Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
●A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
●Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
●Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a staff-level full-stack engineer, you will design, architect, and build web applications for our partner organizations, 3rd party developers, and end consumers.
Merit’s web apps and mobile apps are built using React Native Web. Our backend is a microservice architecture implemented in Golang using Kafka for interservice communication. We use our REST API to communicate between our apps and backend as well as for our 3rd party developers. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Postgres, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes, and Docker.
- Design, architect, provide technical guidance and implement the key components of our core platform using React Native Web for web frontend and backend services using Golang.
- Deliver quality features on time, by taking them from ideation through working with Product & UX, to architecting and implementing scalable, fault-tolerant solutions.
- Influence the technical direction of the team by staying current with technology through constant learning.
- Drive innovation, provide technical guidance and inspire others by implementing high-quality, forward-thinking solutions.
- Understand what drives value to the business and influences the direction of the product roadmap.
- Build a flawless developer experience with interactive documentation and examples, clean interfaces and dashboards, and beautiful widgets.
- Incorporate monitoring and alerting to provide visibility, real-time user analytics, and business intelligence to Merit’s Engineering and business teams.
- Build infrastructure to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
- 7-10 years of work experience building highly scalable products
- Strong experience with Golang, NodeJS, Java, C#, or TypeScript
- Full stack engineer experienced in building beautiful web apps, preferably using React
- Proficient in modern architecture, software design principles, and building in the cloud
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.