Engineering Manager - QA / Test Automation
Millbrae, CA /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We’re looking to hire an experienced QA / Test Automation Engineering Manager to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As the Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of highly talented engineers responsible for Merit’s quality, test automation, and release. You will collaborate with product owners, engineering managers and program managers to ensure timely delivery of features with the highest quality.
Merits test automation suite for web apps and mobile apps is built using Cypress, WebdriverIO, Appium and TypeScript. Our web apps are built using React and TypeScript. Our mobile apps are built using React Native and TypeScript. Our backend is implemented mostly in Scala, and some in NodeJS and we are currently migrating to Golang based Microservices. We also built REST APIs for our 3rd party developers. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Google Cloud Datastore, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker.
- QA and Automation
- Take end-to-end ownership of Merit’s QA and test automation discipline. Lead the team from the front by contributing to the test suite and actively participating in automation code reviews. Drive innovation by playing an active role in automation tech stack decisions and architecture.
- Place heavy emphasis on design and code reviews. Balance high quality with high throughput.
- Keep the team motivated by providing challenging work, clarity in direction and mentorship with regular 1:1s.
- Ensure that the team is operating at peak performance without burnout.
- Encourage positive work-life balance.
- Create and maintain a healthy candidate pipeline by working with our internal recruiting team.
- Raise the bar with every new hire.
- Establish healthy feedback loops to continuously improve our Agile Scrum based processes.
- Constantly track and measure various metrics to meaningfully improve velocity and quality.
- Own the release and postmortem process
- 8+ years of experience in the software industry in test automation roles, with 2+ years in management roles, responsible for 5+ test automation/QA engineers.
- Experience in building automation frameworks and test suites for web, mobile or APIs as an automation engineer is a must.
- Thorough understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation to enable the rapid delivery of working code.
- Pragmatic and understand the tradeoffs very well. Balance technical leadership with strong business judgement.
- Strongly opinionated but respectful and collaborative; self-motivated and have strong interpersonal & communication skills.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.