Director of Developer Relations
Webinars / Remote /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial team leader who will seek development partners, define win-win value proposition, and work with them to build compelling integrations with the Merit platform. As Director of Developer Relations, you will be driving the company’s strategy for identifying and engaging with developers and creators of software products and services that complement the Merit product to build compelling solutions across hundreds of industries. This is a great opportunity for someone with experience working with developers who wants to build a team focused on driving business value through meaningful integrations. If you have demonstrated experience in supporting a developer program and have a passion to work with developers and solve their problems, and want to unlock the potential of Merit to integrate with thousands of products, we would be excited to talk with you.
Merit is a start-up environment where you’ll be expected to roll-up your sleeves and work collaboratively with engineers, designers and other cross-functional partners. You’ll push the boundaries of what’s possible in mobile and desktop apps, how to deliver value to users while sharing in our healthy obsession for quality and attention to detail. This is a full-time position based at our headquarters in Millbrae.
- Develop partnership strategy that’s hinged on win-win value for both development partners and Merit
- Seek partners that align best with the strategy and create compelling collateral that complements the Merit value prop with products and services across industries
- Sell partners on the Merit vision and a cohesive solution that moves the industry forward
- Participate in architectural and design discussions with strategic internal partners to speed adoption and ensure best practices during implementation
- Drive technical content strategy, responsible for technical documentation and educational content targeted at developers
- Proactively communicate developer experience program goals, measures of success, plans, status, issues and risks in a timely manner to team members, stakeholders and senior leadership to assure strategic and program alignment and the timely resolution of issues, risks and roadblocks
- Build relationships with developers, creators and thought-leaders that will lead to leveraged platform adoption, and the development of high-impact, revolutionary new applications and experiences.
- Set up and refine systems, processes and programs for communicating with, supporting and inspiring developer communities (website, support, events, social media etc).
- Help developers solve technical problems and answer questions about platform’s capabilities
- Lead conversations as a technical expert, where your knowledge and expertise of the Merit APIs will allow you to guide implementation and onboard partners
- Manage developer support tickets and provide regular updates to open tickets
- Develop developer-facing documentation and integration guides
- Collaborate closely with various teams including product (provide roadmap feedback), engineering (provide feedback and file bugs) and go-to-market (respond quickly to high priority issues, talk to prospects)
- Develop technical messaging and platform architecture documentation describing the Merit API
- Manage and scale the developer success team as appropriate
- Work collaboratively with the cross functional team on our overall developer strategy
- At least 7 years of experience in developer relations, software development, technical product marketing or a role where you showcased your innate ability to earn trust and credibility with technical teams
- Experience in team leadership
- Experience in launching and cultivating platform technology
- Strong empathy for frustrated developers and patience to help them solve their problems
- Experience working on technical issues, troubleshooting bugs, and communicating with product managers and engineers
- Desire to work in a fast paced environment with lots of autonomy
- Penchant to find hidden details as well as summarizing broader trends
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Deep empathy towards technical users and you thrive on making developers feel empowered
- Curious and comfortable with new technologies and you love learning new tools
- Thrives in a high energy, fast growth startup environment
- BS in computer science or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.