Merit believes that truth and trust can change the world. Our platform helps organizations create, send and verify licenses, credentials and other people-based statements of truth, known as merits. Members in turn benefit by taking control of their valuable personal information while shaping their future based on the opportunities that they are uniquely qualified for.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial individual to lead our data science efforts. If you have demonstrated experience in helping companies deepen their understanding of how people use the value that they offer to organizations and individuals, and want to unlock the potential of Merit to serve hundreds of millions of users, we would be excited to talk with you. As our first data scientist, you’ll work cross-functionally to identify and answer our most important questions, transforming raw data into understandable and actionable insights.
- Partner with product, engineering and go-to-market teams to help drive insights, identify opportunities, and understand behavior and long-term trends
- Take a leading role in producing new datasets that unlock business opportunities
- Manage the design and analysis of experiments; develop and socialize a rigorous culture of experimentation throughout the entire company
- Play a foundational role in building a data culture at Merit through reproducible work, improved processes, and better tooling
- Develop hypotheses and test them with data, rather than solely or primarily attempt to glean patterns from the data already in front of us
- Define and monitor key metrics through consistent tracking, KPI’s, and dashboards
- 2+ years experience as a data scientist or data analyst
- Strong knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- Experience creating A/B tests that optimize acquisition, engagement and conversion rates
- Possess a natural curiosity and strive to uncover the deeper relationships that are not always immediately discoverable
- Experience writing and optimizing complex SQL queries for large data sets and are familiar with a scientific programming language, such as R or Python.
- Excellent storyteller and able to communicate your findings with clarity and precision, whether through writing or visualizations
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience
Bonus Points If You Have
- Experience analyzing large data sets from across multiple sources (SQL, Hadoop, CSV, etc.)
- Experience with clustering and segmentation to quantify the value of actions
- Experience building charts and reports in Tableau for rich and interactive result visualization
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.