Millbrae, CA /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We’re looking to hire an experienced Chief Architect to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As the Chief Architect, you will own and be responsible for end-to-end architecture of entire Merit’s platform - including web & mobile apps, services, APIs, and 3rd party integrations. You will collaborate with product owners, lead design reviews, make architecture discussions, establish architecture standards & best practices, and foster a culture of constant innovation. You will also “get out of the building” to learn about emerging technologies from peer groups & evaluate them for Merit’s needs, and evangelize Merit’s technology & practices.
Merit’s web apps are built using React and TypeScript. Our mobile apps are built using React Native and TypeScript. Our backend is implemented mostly in Scala, and some in NodeJS. We use GraphQL to communicate between our apps and backend. We also built REST APIs for our 3rd party developers. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Google Cloud Datastore, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Drive end-to-end architecture across product offerings and platform services
- Work across multiple engineering teams to drive short and long term architecture decisions
- Provide strong technical leadership across mobile, web, REST, database and infrastructure domains
- Ensure the platform is highly secure, available, scalable, and resilient
- Provide strategic and tactical direction in the areas of data science, machine learning and analytics
- Participate actively in technical designs and pull requests reviews. Recognize trouble spots, suggest alternatives, and seek help effectively
- Implement solid prototypes and core components rapidly
- Define initiatives to improve infrastructure, reduce technical debt and decrease system complexity
- Constantly seek out the latest developments in technology & open source frameworks, implement PoCs as needed to ease the adoption among engineers
- Motivate and mentor the engineer team. Use technical leadership and deep knowledge to inspire the team and influence engineering culture
- Arbitrate technical disagreements across teams
- Develop and maintain architectural roadmap and ensure alignment between business needs and architecture standards
- Ensure that the platform helps Merit and our partners comply with regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
- 15+ years of experience in the software product industry in senior architecture and software development roles
- Demonstrated experience in senior leadership positions with responsibility for architecture and technology
- Experience in architecting highly distributed, scalable, low latency systems using open source technologies such as Tomcat, Zookeeper, Kafka, Netty, MongoDB, PostGres, etc.
- Mastery in least one development language. Built distributed systems and understand the workings of the web thoroughly
- Highly proficient in mobile, web, REST APIs, NoSQL and RDBMS architecture & design
- Very knowledgeable in containers, container orchestration and cloud-native distributed systems
- In depth understanding of industry-leading technology in big data, data management, query processing and machine learning. Expertise in Big Data technologies in Hadoop, MapReduce, Hive, HDFS, Kafka, Pig, HBase, Spark, etc.
- Proven expertise in performance tuning, monitoring and measuring
- Thorough understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation to enable the rapid delivery of working code
- Pragmatic and understand tradeoffs very well. Balance technical leadership and acumen with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices
- Strongly opinionated but respectful and collaborative; self-motivated and have strong interpersonal & communication skills
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions.
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.