Millbrae, CA /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We’re looking to hire an experienced Engineering Manager to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing Platform engineering team. As the Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of highly talented engineers delivering key parts of Merit’s platform. You will collaborate with product owners to manage product roadmap and ensure timely delivery of features with the highest quality.
Our backend is implemented as microservices in Golang and we are in the early stages of putting together our Big Data and Machine Learning stack. We run on Google Cloud Platform and use Google Cloud Datastore, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Kubernetes and Docker.
- Product Development:
- Work with the Product Owners to understand and influence the roadmap.
- Drive planning and distill product roadmap into actionable tasks for engineers.
- Flawlessly execute on the roadmap and hit all the promised delivery dates.
- Ensure continuous delivery of features & bug fixes to production.
- Place heavy emphasis on design, testing and code reviews.
- Balance high quality with high throughput.
- Actively participate in design, architecture and code reviews.
- Team Management:
- Keep the team motivated by providing challenging work, clarity in direction and mentorship with regular 1-1s.
- Ensure that the team is operating at peak performance without burnout.
- Encourage positive work-life balance.
- Create and maintain a healthy candidate pipeline by working with our internal recruiting team. Raise the bar with every new hire.
- Process Management:
- Establish healthy feedback loops to continuously improve our Agile Scrum based processes.
- Constantly track and measure various metrics to meaningfully improve velocity and quality.
- 8+ years of experience in the software industry in development roles, with 2+ years in management roles, responsible for 5+ engineers.
- Very knowledgeable in containers, container orchestration and cloud-native distributed systems.
- Experience in managing teams that built data applications is a huge plus.
- Thorough understanding of Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment, Test Automation, Build Automation to enable the rapid delivery of working code.
- Pragmatic and understand the tradeoffs very well. Balance technical leadership with strong business judgment.
- Strongly opinionated but respectful and collaborative; self-motivated and have strong interpersonal & communication skills.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.