Business Development Leader
Webinars / Remote /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
Merit believes that truth and trust can change the world. Our platform helps organizations create, send and verify licenses, credentials, and other people-based statements of truth, known as merits. Members in turn benefit by taking control of their valuable personal information while shaping their future based on the opportunities that they are uniquely qualified for.
About the Government Team
The Government team works with innovative governments across the country to launch Merit across a wide range of agencies and departments including licensing & regulatory bodies, workforce, and economic development programs, emergency services, and education systems.
About the Role
Merit is a well-established start-up company with a defined market share. To do this role effectively you will need to be able to pitch the Merit vision to a variety of audiences, including elected officials, agency heads, corporate and nonprofit leaders, and workforce members across a diverse region of the United States. The Manager will be responsible for the development of new deals in their given region at the statewide and local level, from outreach to engagement to hand off to the implementation teams.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about advancing Merit’s mission and helping governments innovate through technology and smart program design, and have experience with or in government business development and/or sales. It is a bonus to have experience in a startup or other fast-paced company.
Merit is a startup environment where you will be expected to roll up your sleeves, take initiative, and get creative about finding solutions to challenges. This is a full-time position, based remotely (the company is headquartered in Millbrae, CA), with significant travel requirements within the designated region and occasionally elsewhere.
- Work closely with leadership to develop and implement market development and sales strategies.
- Conduct outreach to key decision-makers in state and local government within your region to drive adoption of the Merit platform.
- Represent Merit at meetings with government officials and other key public sector partners.
- Build relationships with stakeholders in order to identify possible growth opportunities for Merit on the ground, and then develop programs across agencies and industries.
- Manage the Market Development/Sales process from opportunity development, including demonstrations, communication, pricing, and negotiations.
- Monitor RFPs, legislation, and political matters, with particular attention to those which could support Merit’s growth.
- Remarkable early career experience (5+ years) working with government and the public sector.
- Experience in business development and/or sales required.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson.
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to travel frequently (domestic only).
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.