Senior Software Engineer - Data Infrastructure
Merit’s verified identity ecosystem helps trusted organizations across government and enterprise solve critical real-world problems in workforce development, emergency services, licensing, education, defense readiness, and other sectors. Thousands of trusted organizations - including government agencies and nonprofits - use Merit for digital verification of credentials, licenses, training, and skills.
Using Merit, organizations can capture and certify people-data in containers called merits, and permission them to individuals. All of an individual’s merits are stored in one place, providing people agency over their verified data, giving people secure access and selective sharing with other organizations.
By connecting organizations and individuals, the Merit Platform supports a robust verified identity network that serves as a source of truth and trust for entire industries; bringing visibility, liquidity, and trust to people’s data.
Merit has been widely adopted and used by numerous organizations:
-The Florida Division of Emergency Management partnered with Merit to provide a fast, secure, paperless solution for the verification and time-tracking of thousands of volunteers and paid medical professionals assisting with the statewide COVID-19 vaccination efforts. As a result of our work together, FDEM was named a StateScoop 50
Award winner for the State IT Innovation of the Year.
-BARBICIDE® partnered with Merit to provide digital credentials to beauty professionals worldwide, exceeding two million digital, portable, shareable BARBICIDE® merits sent to date through Merit’s verified identity platform. The merits are granted for completion of BARBICIDE’s widely utilized courses on safety standards and best-practices.
-Virginia’s Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) partnered with Merit to streamline licensing and digital credentialing for the more than 300,000 professionals across more than 40 industries that are required to have a license to work. With Merit, those licenses are now digital, accessible, and easily verifiable by consumers and businesses.
Merit’s values are more than just words on paper – they permeate the company’s brand, culture,
products, and even individual actions. Our values are:
●Building a network of truth and trust. Merit is modeling the real world of Verified Identity into a digital one, built on merits. Society values truth, and merits represent truth.
●Everyone is a friend. We see opportunities everywhere because Merit has endless ways to grow the already vast and self-propagating Verified Identity graph.
●A rising tide lifts all boats. We think about entire industries and how to make the most impact on people’s lives. When we succeed, our employees, partners, and everyone on Merit should succeed.
●Measure to meaningfully improve. Work is measured by output, not vanity metrics, and the things we do measure have goals.
●Use Merit to build Merit. The strength of the Merit network, platform, and company compounds with the addition of every partner, consumer, and employee.
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a senior data engineer, you will design, architect, and build key infrastructure components to run our data pipelines flawlessly and support the data and analytics needs of the business.
Merit runs on Google Cloud Platform and uses Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, and Apache Kafka. Our data warehouse is BigQuery, which we populate with BigQuery federated connections and event streams from Kafka. Our pipelines are orchestrated with Apache Airflow, and we use dbt to transform, test, and document our data. This data is consumed by customers via Tableau and Google Sheets.
- Own entire portions of our data infrastructure and be part of the journey all the way from ideation, performing technical design, and implementation to production deployment, while making technical decisions that impact the success of the company.
- Adhere to our philosophy of “infrastructure as code” by implementing data pipeline components in code and participating in code review processes.
- Manage our cloud data infrastructure along with pipeline orchestration using Apache Airflow, BigQuery, and dbt.
- Create tooling, real-time dashboards, monitoring, and alerts on our data pipelines to keep uptime high, production incidents low, and incident resolution response times very short.
- Provide fast, stable, and reliable builds and tests across our data stack.
- Participate in regular security audits, reviews, and implement remedial actions with utmost urgency.
- Learn through code reviews, technical guidance, and mentorship, and help others grow through those same means.
- Identify opportunities to compound the growth and efficiency of our team and participate in our culture of continuous improvement.
- Build data infrastructure components to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
- 4-7 years of work experience in managing data pipeline infrastructure.
- Strong knowledge in one of the areas of data workflow orchestration, data warehousing, streaming app frameworks, or streaming event platforms.
- Expert SQL and relational database experience.
- Extensive hands-on coding experience and proficiency in Python, Go, Java, etc.
- Experience Terraforming cloud data pipeline infrastructure is a plus.
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices.
- Clear written and spoken communication skills.
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, or a related field - or equivalent work experience.
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.