Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure
Millbrae, CA /
At Merit, we believe the world would get bigger if you didn’t always have to prove the trusted credentials you’ve earned. Merit has built the interoperable digital credentials ecosystem that bridges data and trust gaps between and among government, companies, organizations, and individuals. This uniquely helps those trusted organizations deliver on the promises they’ve made to individuals struggling to maximize the credentials they’ve earned, and helps create more opportunities for everyone.
We’re looking to hire experienced engineers to join our exceptionally talented and rapidly growing engineering team. As a senior infrastructure engineer, you will design, architect, and build key infrastructure components to run our high-volume platform flawlessly, and support the infra needs of engineers.
Merit’s platform runs on Google Cloud Platform and uses Google Cloud Datastore, Pub/Sub, Redis, Elasticsearch, Terraform, Kubernetes and Docker. Our backend is implemented mostly in Scala, and some in NodeJS. Our mobile apps are built using React Native and TypeScript. Our web apps are built using React and TypeScript. We use GraphQL to communicate between our apps and backend. We also built REST APIs for our 3rd party developers.
- Own entire portions of our infrastructure and be part of the journey all the way from ideation, performing technical design, implementation to production deployment, while making technical decisions that impact the success of the company
- Adhere to our philosophy of “infrastructure as code” by implementing infra modules in code, participating in code review processes and contributing to backend platform
- Automate creation, tear down and management of our external & internal facing environments using Terraform and Ansible
- Manage our cloud infrastructure along with container orchestration using Kubernetes and configuration management using Consul
- Create tooling, real time dashboards, monitoring, alerts to keep uptime high, production incidents low, and incident resolution response times very short
- Provide fast, stable, and reliable builds and tests across our entire tech stack
- Provide self-service access for engineers teams to create, deploy and access infrastructure
- Participate in regular security audits, reviews and implement remedial actions with utmost urgency
- Learn through code reviews, technical guidance, and mentorship, and help others grow through those same means.
- Learn to identify opportunities to compound the growth and efficiency of our team.
- Build infrastructure to help Merit and our partners comply with privacy regulations like the EU GDPR, SOC, HIPAA, PCI, etc.
- 4-7 years of work experience in managing cloud or on-prem infrastructures
- Strong knowledge in one of the areas of system administration, networking or security
- Extensive hands-on coding experience and proficiency in Python, Go, Bash, etc.
- Mentored engineering team members and established best practices
- Clear written and spoken communication skills
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.