Remote Lead Security Engineer (Contract)
Millbrae, CA /
Merit believes that truth and trust can change the world. Our platform helps organizations create, send and verify licenses, credentials and other people-based statements of truth, known as merits. Members in turn benefit by taking control of their valuable personal information while shaping their future based on the opportunities that they are uniquely qualified for.
As a Lead Security Engineer, you will be responsible for securing our web & mobile applications and our infrastructure that supports our platform. You will work with engineering & infrastructure teams to solve security challenges and help us get certified on compliance standards such as SOC2. Specifically, you will be:
1. Working with development teams, design secure web, mobile and API solutions and lead application security reviews of all projects
2. Lead threat modeling and infrastructure security reviews
3. Set security standards and best practices for the Engineering & Infra organizations
4. This is going to be a six month contract role with a posibilty of extension or full time conversion after that.
5. This is a remote position.
- Perform code review and drive remediation of discovered issues
- Enable automated security testing at scale to measure vulnerability, and report on risk across all the web and mobile platforms
- Lead and manage our bug bounty program.
- Build the security development training program to train developers on secure coding practices.
- Develop and lead company wide training on common security pitfalls, like phishing, social engineering
- Help implement and fine-tune our security tools, such as endpoint protection
- Automate enforcement of security policies across the entire organization
- Strong knowledge of web protocols and cloud infrastructure components
- Knowledge of various security tools and architecture.
- Knack for finding security flaws and efficiently communicate remedies.
- Ability to think like an attacker and use that context to develop threat models
- Strong communicator who can work closely with engineering and infra teams
- 5+ years of experience securing complex production environments
At Merit, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate, support, and value it for the innate benefit of our employees, the competitive advantage of our products, and the strength of the communities we are a part of. Merit is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or veteran status. We will do our best to accommodate any disabilities or special needs you may have.