Business Development Manager
Washington, District of Columbia
Millions of Americans are underemployed, while U.S. employers are struggling to find talent with the skills they need. Merit America is building a large-scale pathway to these skilled careers, with the goal of becoming the leading provider of accessible skill development for working adults without Bachelor’s degrees. Our work includes:
1) Partnering with leading employers;
2) Operating learning programs aligned to employer needs, which combine online learning + in-person wraparound support; and
3) Serving Americans without college degrees through our programs.
A critical part of achieving our mission is our ability to secure and grow employer partnerships, which drive our work and enable our graduates to transition to great new careers. We cultivate partnerships with major employers who have large, recurring hiring needs for skilled roles and have difficulty filling all of their openings. For these major partners, we work closely with them to develop learning tracks aligned to their roles and to provide them with a pipeline of trained, vetted Merit America graduates.
We are looking for a talented Business Development Manager to drive these critical partnerships that will enable us to scale our impact, and provide opportunity to tens of thousands of Americans in the near-term.
- Building and overseeing Merit America’s employer partner pipeline, including:
- Building relationships with talent leaders at major employers
- Working to understand the hiring challenges of major employers and how Merit America can help solve their challenges
- Maintaining and growing relationships with company leaders, even if they have no immediate partnership needs
- Developing Merit America’s employer partnerships, including:
- Leading the end-to-end partnership development and contracting process
- Working with Merit America curriculum experts to map employers’ hiring needs to specific skills, and to customize Merit learning programs as needed
- Working with Merit America program and site leads to inform recruiting and assessment of Merit program participants, based on employers’ needs
- Managing Merit America’s employer partner relationships, including:
- Developing a strategic engagement process for maintaining and strengthening partnerships once secured
- Regularly working with the point person/people at employer partners to assess if Merit America is successfully solving their challenges, and identifying opportunities for Merit America to serve them even better
- Shaping Merit America’s broader employer partnership approach, including:
- Synthesizing the challenges (potential) employer partners are facing and how Merit America might better address them
- Raising flags and proposing solutions about anything that is not working in the processes and program from the employer perspective
- Serving as a thought leader in the broader education-for-employment space
- At Merit America, we believe that if you can excel in the job, you should get the job - so we hire for skills, instead of specific experience or education requirements. That said, experience and education related to the skills outlined below is preferred.
- Relationship-Building: Outstanding ability to build & sustain relationships with others, including understanding others’ goals and working to mutually solve others’ challenges - particularly with corporate partners and senior-level stakeholders
- Operational Excellence: Ability to manage your own schedule and balance multiple demands, with demonstrated success working in fast-paced environments and solving problems creatively, and delivering measurable results in terms of partnership development and retention
- Social-Impact Mindset: Desire to work directly with underserved populations and meaningfully improve their lives, and experience driving a “double bottom line” in terms of producing business and mission impact
- Professionalism & Communication: Highest standard of professional conduct and communication; strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Entrepreneurial Drive: Resourcefulness, agility, and comfort working in ambiguous, quickly changing environments, including eagerness to wear multiple hats as needed and to help shape our start-up’s future
- Lifelong Learning: Commitment to lifelong learning and ongoing personal and professional development
- Full-time position, ideally starting in March 2019
- Competitive nonprofit salary
- Comprehensive benefits
Diversity is integral to our success and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe in workplaces that are fully inclusive, and include underrepresented individuals in terms of race, gender and/or socio-economic status, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.