Strategy & Analysis Consultant
Washington, District of Columbia
Merit America is looking for an entrepreneurial, mission-driven Strategy & Analysis Consultant to lead strategic initiatives and analyses in service of our goal: helping thousands of underserved Americans advance their careers. More than 50 million American adults do not have Bachelor’s degrees and are stuck in low-wage jobs, at a time when employers are struggling to find skilled talent. With your help, Merit America will close this skills gap at scale.
Merit America is a new non-profit program focused on building a large-scale pathway from low-wage work into upwardly-mobile careers. We do this by:
1) Partnering with employers;
2) Operating learning programs aligned to employer needs, which combine online learning + in-person wraparound support; and
3) Serving Americans without college degrees through our programs.
Our goal is to build the most effective, large-scale education-to-employment program in the country, and we have the ambitious goal of reaching 50,000+ learners annually by 2023.
- The Strategy & Analysis Consultant will play a critical role in shaping the long-term strategy and success of Merit America. Specific responsibilities will likely include:
- Can we predict from our admissions process who will receive the most benefit during and after our program? What are the implications of that on our recruitment, selection, program, and alumni processes?
- How is Merit America performing against our initial economic models, and how should we iterate on our financial sustainability strategy based on emerging data? How can we best ensure we have the financing necessary to reach our desired scale?
- Where are there inefficiencies in our program that can be solved with better processes, structures, or technologies to help scale our operations?
Conduct strategic analyses to drive Merit America’s program strategy and sustainability strategy. Example strategic questions include:
Help develop and implement Merit America’s measurement & evaluation strategy and processes, to drive internal program strategy and fuel best-in-class external reporting
- Washington, D.C.
- 3-9 months in 2019
- Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Consultant will report to the Director of Program Strategy & Partnerships (formerly a Bain consultant), and will also work closely with the Founder & CEO (formerly a McKinsey consultant, Coursera Director, and Education Policy Advisor).
- At Merit America, we believe that if you can excel in the job, you should get the job - so we hire for skills, instead of specific experience or education requirements. That said, experience and education related to the skills outlined below is preferred.
- Quantitative & Analytical Abilities: Ability to break-down difficult problems, gather data and conduct analyses, and draw conclusions from data; Excel proficiency
- Professionalism & Communication: High standard of professional conduct and communication; strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Social-Impact Mindset: Desire to support underserved populations and meaningfully improve their lives
- Entrepreneurial Drive: Resourcefulness, agility, and comfort working in ambiguous, quickly changing environments, including eagerness to wear multiple hats as needed and to help shape our start-up’s future
Diversity is integral to our success and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe in workplaces that are fully inclusive, and include underrepresented individuals in terms of race, gender and/or socio-economic status, and any other characteristics protected by applicable law. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.