New York /
Data Science & Analytics /
⚡️ About Merkle Science
Merkle Science provides blockchain transaction monitoring and intelligence solutions for web3 companies, digital asset service providers, financial institutions, law enforcement and government agencies to detect, investigate, and prevent illicit use of cryptocurrencies. Our vision is to make cryptocurrencies safe and provide infrastructure for the safe and compliant growth of cryptocurrencies.
Merkle Science is headquartered in New York with offices in Singapore, Bangalore and London. The team has combined experience across Bank of America, Paypal, Luno, Thomson Reuters and Amazon. The company has raised over $27M from SIG, Beco, Republic, DCG, Kenetic, GGV and several others.
Merkle Science is seeking a talented and motivated Crypto Investigator to join our team of experts dedicated to combating financial crime and illicit activities in the cryptocurrency space. As a Crypto Investigator, you will play a critical role in identifying, analyzing, and tracking suspicious transactions, patterns, and behaviors across various blockchain networks. Your insights will be instrumental in assisting clients, law enforcement agencies, and internal teams in making informed decisions and taking action to maintain the integrity of the digital asset ecosystem.
💥 What will you do?
- Investigate complex cases involving phishing, blockchain exploits, hacks, terrorism finance, account takeovers (ATOs), money laundering, sim swaps, ransomware and other activity associated with illicit use of blockchain technology.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to generate actionable intelligence reports that support clients' compliance efforts and law enforcement investigations.
- Conduct long-term research on key categories of crime on the blockchain, and turn this research into valuable intelligence.
- Analyze and interpret large datasets to uncover hidden patterns, relationships, and anomalies within the crypto landscape.
- Assist in the development and improvement of internal attribution and datasets.
- Proactively identify, build and manage relationships with industry partners to add new sources of attribution.
- Collaborate with external stakeholders, including law enforcement agencies and regulatory bodies, to support ongoing investigations and information sharing.
🙋 What makes you a great addition to the team?
- Prior experience analyzing cybercrime within a U.S. federal agency.
- Solid understanding of blockchain technology, cryptocurrencies, and the mechanics of various blockchain networks.
- Experience in conducting financial investigations, preferably within the cryptocurrency or financial industry.
- Proficiency in using blockchain analytics tools and platforms for transaction analysis (e.g., Chainalysis, Elliptic, CipherTrace).
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to decipher complex data and identify relevant insights.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, to convey findings and recommendations effectively.
- Mission-driven and entrepreneurial – will combine their investigations expertise with general business acumen to help drive Merkle Science’s expansion.
- Experience as an investigator or analyst - either private or public sector; preferably at least 3-5 years combined experience.
❤️ Well Being, Compensation and Benefits
We care about your well-being. Along with excellent health insurance, we offer flexible time off, learning & development initiatives and hours that are designed to provide work/life balance. We regularly host team-building sessions and encourage discussions around mental health.
We reward talent and believe in acknowledging people for their contributions. We offer industry-leading compensation, along with generous equity. As a rapidly growing business, there are endless opportunities to grow your career with Merkle Science.