Senior Avionics Software Engineer
Engineering – Avionics /
Merlin is an early stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft!
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you an experienced avionics software engineer looking for something that you just can’t find in big aerospace? Do you believe you can build better aircraft systems using modern software development methods? Would you like to own a significant percentage of key systems for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in a Senior Software Engineer role here at Merlin.
- Design and develop software across the stack of an aircraft autonomy system, contributing to both lower level embedded systems and higher level autonomy function areas.
- Participate in designing and developing the software architecture for our safety critical systems.
- Write, test, and document code according to Merlin’s development standards, and participate in software certification activities.
- Troubleshoot, debug, maintain, and improve software by providing recommendations to update system requirements, architecture, or hardware to resolve issues.
- Provide leadership by example: define and implement process, write and test code, generate documentation, and ensure our product ships and performs to the highest quality.
- Collaborate across Merlin to develop novel, certifiable systems to solve the toughest problems in aviation and autonomy.
- BS in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, or a related subject.
- 7+ years of experience in embedded software development with demonstrable knowledge of C/C++.
- Expertise in Matlab/Simulink or Ansys SCADE model-based development.
- Experience developing certified software for flight control systems, flight management systems, or other safety critical avionics systems.
- Experience in verification of embedded model-based or C/C++ developed software.
- Experience designing and implementing software for real-time operating systems (RTOS), with strong knowledge of low level topics such as device driver development, interrupt handling, memory management, and performance estimation.
- Demonstrable experience developing software in accordance with RTCA DO-178C.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience in one or more areas of robotics and autonomy, such as estimation, control, navigation, or computer vision.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment with open-source software tools.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.