Hardware Integration Lab Manager
Engineering – Hardware /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
You are an outstanding engineer and people manager who is innovative and detail oriented. You are able to start from a concept, gather requirements from stakeholders inside Merlin, and build something better than anyone even knew to ask for. You are able to manage a spectrum of work, working with mechanical, electrical, and software engineers to develop a polished product - in this case, a critical internal tool for our avionics system development.
- Lead systems integration lab design, build, and engineering activities by providing technical and managerial leadership supporting aviation certified product development lifecycles.
- Navigate the tradeoffs between engineering innovation, compliance-driven process, and ultimately delivering thoroughly tested aviation products to customers.
- Hire, manage, and mentor the integration lab team, taking a deeper and more active role in the lab architecture and design to drive the critical path of product through tasking, project meetings, and design reviews.
- Select and configure tools and define processes to support hardware engineering design activities and FAA certification: CAD, BOM, CM, and QA management and documentation.
- Drive procurement of components, equipment, parts, and tools from suppliers by managing technical aspects of supplier relationships, proposals, statements of work, quotes, analyses, trade studies, and purchases.
- Define and implement lab processes to support FAA certification of Merlin parts and systems.
- This position may require up to 25% travel to our integration / flight test locations.
- BS in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with 10+ years of experience in systems or aircraft integration, or an advanced degree with 5+ years of experience.
- Broad knowledge of aircraft system development considerations, including hardware, avionics data communication protocols (ARINC 429, Ethernet, RS-232/422/485, etc.) wire harnesses, safety, quality, integration, verification, and test.
- Experience building exceptional engineering organizations with creative hiring strategies to develop quality teams.
- Early to mid-stage high-growth company experience.
- Previous experience managing the technical aspects of high DAL airborne electronic hardware and/or avionics using industry standards such as ARP4754A, ARP4761, and DO-254.
- Experience with flight management, navigation, guidance, and display systems.
- Experience with human factors engineering for Part 23 or 25 flight decks.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.