Avionics Integration Engineer
Engineering – Hardware /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you a creative and experienced electrical engineer who is passionate about developing systems at the forefront of technology? Do you believe you can build better aircraft systems using agile and robust development methods? Would you like to own a significant percentage of key aspects for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in an Avionics Integration Engineer role here at Merlin Labs.
- Define and mature electrical and electronic aspects of the architecture for our aircraft autonomy system, including power distribution, communications, computer, electro-mechanical, control systems, and user interfaces and controls.
- Integrate and verify Commercial/Modified-Off-the-Shelf (COTS/MOTS) electronic subsystems for aircraft and test lab installation.
- Provide guidance to lab and aircraft installation technicians.
- Prepare and release electrical design and fabrication drawings, test plans and reports, and associated aircraft installation and certification documents.
- This position may require up to 50% travel, sometimes with short notice, to both domestic and international locations to support aircraft and system integration.
- BS in Electronics, Electrical, Aerospace, or Mechanical Engineering.
- 5+ years of relevant systems level electrical systems and integration design experience for the aviation and aerospace industries.
- Experience integrating and debugging systems containing COTS/MOTS modules, custom circuits, software, sensors, and human / machine / graphical user interfaces.
- Working knowledge of integrating various components using standard interface protocols such as ARINC 429, RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485.
- Familiarity with lab test equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes, data acquisition, and bus analyzers.
- Experience with creating and interpreting system schematics, wiring diagrams, and subsystem block diagrams.
- Experience with wire harness design and connector component selection and sourcing.
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
- Specific experience with aircraft avionics, communications, and power distribution and management systems.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the qualification and regulatory requirements for commercial and military aircraft. Specifically: RTCA DO-160, DO-178, DO-254, and MIL-STD-810.
- Hands-on capability in lab, field, and aircraft settings and able to function comfortably as an electromechanical technician to build and prove out designs. (SMT soldering, drilling, wiring, crimping, use of hand tools, design/build of cable assemblies.)
- Hands-on experience with electro-mechanical systems such as motors and associated EMI/EMC design and qualification testing.
- Aviation/Aerospace wire harness design experience.
- Experience with design tools such as SolidWorks, Altium, or KiCAD.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.