Human Factors Engineer
Certification and Quality – Certification and Quality /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you a Human Factors Engineer looking for an opportunity to participate in a civil aviation HF program involving advanced Human-Autonomy Teaming? The program will identify, develop, optimize, verify, and certify the look, feel, and response of the human-machine interface to a unique implementation of Merlin’s advanced autonomy technology.
- Coordinates with internal and external Human Factors program stakeholders.
- Completes and facilitates tasks stakeholders to accomplish program goals.
- Works with customers, operators, regulators, industry specialists, suppliers, and internal disciplines to clarify operational requirements to support equipment design throughout the design process.
- Performs structured methods to develop Human Factors requirements and coordinates those requirements and their implementations with the system design process
- Develops and performs early-phase development methods, such as pilot-in-the-loop simulations and other early-stage prototyping to validate requirements
- Plans methods for and conducts pilot workload assessments, to evaluate tasking and validate requirements, particularly, in support of a safety assessment process
- Develops and supports the development of multiple structured methods to verify the implementation of HF requirements including: flight testing, human in the loop simulation, and modeling techniques
- Produces test plans, reports and, or memos to substantiate compliance with human factors certification regulations.
- Minimum of a B.S. in Engineering or a related technical discipline
- 3+ years of industry experience in HF or human-centered system design
- Experience in the certification of HF aspects for aviation
- Experience in human-in-the-loop evaluation
- Experience in execution of HF evaluation methods such as simulation, ground, and flight testing
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Certification experience with 14CFR 25.1302 compliance demonstration
- Experience interacting with an ARP4761 Safety Assessment Process
- 5+ years of industry experience in human-centered system design for aviation
- Operational experience in a technology-intensive, safety-critical environment
- Vehicle user-interface design experience
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.