Lead Aircraft Systems Engineer
Boston or Denver /
Engineering – Engineering /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
We seek an experienced aircraft systems engineer to lead integration and testing of Merlin’s advanced autonomy system as we expand our reach into more aircraft types.
Who you are:
You are an experienced aircraft systems engineer who understands how modern avionics help fly airplanes. You’ve worked in an experimental R&D flight test environment and know how to keep safety at the forefront while still moving quickly. You’re savvy in all of the relevant technical disciplines, including the hardware and software engineering necessary to implement automatic flight control systems. In addition to your engineering skills and knowledge, you are comfortable working with suppliers, partners, and customers to ensure projects meet requirements and schedules.
- Lead the integration and testing of Merlin’s development-level advanced autonomy system on a new-to-Merlin aircraft type.
- Work closely with the team that developed this system to understand previous integrations and Merlin’s new-aircraft spin-up process.
- Lead the adaptation of both the system integration design (including system, software, and hardware elements) and spin-up process to meet the requirements of the new integration.
- Serve as the main technical point of contact with relevant stakeholders, including customers, suppliers, and partners.
- Collaborate closely with our internal project management, system safety, and flight test teams to ensure overall project success.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering or a related engineering discipline
- 5+ years leading projects and teams in whole system integration (software, hardware, and testing) in similar relevant projects, or 10+ years experience in aircraft systems development
- Specific experience in automatic flight control systems, including both the hardware and software components that implement them
- Experience in experimental R&D flight test of automatic flight control systems
- Broad knowledge of aircraft system development considerations, including aspects of certification, system safety, human factors
- Exposure to US Air Force airworthiness standards
- Experience in new product development, including gathering customer requirements and building new product definitions
- Strong preference for Boston or Denver location (relocation available)
- Travel required to support team meetings, customer and partner interactions, and test events (25% or less)
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.