Autonomy Software Engineer
Engineering – Software Engineering (R&D) /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
You are a software engineer who wants to make airplanes that fly themselves. You have a background in robotics, perception, autonomy, or aerospace, have worked on enabling technology for uncrewed vehicles (air, ground, or surface), or developed technology for autonomous vehicles. You have generalist experience across the software stack, from embedded systems to high level algorithms. You also have deep specialist knowledge of at least one area relevant to Merlin’s future products.
- Develop software across the stack of an aircraft autonomy system, contributing to lower level embedded systems and higher level autonomy function areas as needed.
- Design, build, and integrate onboard and off-board autonomy capabilities to: Reduce pilot workload and assist pilots with nominal and emergency flight procedures; Enable cargo aircraft to safely fly without a human pilot onboard; Support automated mission planning; Enable real-time contingency planning and safe execution of contingency procedures and maneuvers.
- Implement and integrate algorithms for perception, reasoning, decision making, planning, and execution, applying AI/ML techniques as needed.
- Write, test, document and review code according to Merlin’s development standards.
- Participate in testing, including software level, integration, and flight testing of the code that you and others write.
- Collaborate across Merlin to develop novel, certifiable systems to solve the toughest problems in aviation and autonomy.
- Degree in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Robotics Engineering, or a related subject.
- BS and 2+, OR MS and 1+ years of professional experience developing software for physical systems such as aircraft, robotics, or medical devices.
- We are open to a range of experience; role level will be commensurate with experience.
- Professional experience in one or more relevant areas of autonomous system engineering: Perception, Reasoning and decision making, Scheduling and Motion planning, Human-Machine Interaction, System Reliability.
- Experience with Linux and open-source development tools.
- Experience with overall product development cycle, including design, testing, and troubleshooting at the system level as well as at the software component level.
- Experience with both Python and C++.
- Experience with ROS or similar robotics middleware.
- Experience in other areas of robotics and autonomy, such as estimation, control, and navigation.
- Familiarity withTensorflow, PyTorch, OpenCV.
- Experience developing sensor fusion algorithms.
- Experience with hardware and software integration and debugging.
- Familiarity with simulation software, especially aircraft simulation.
- Experience with flight testing (unmanned or manned aircraft).
- Pilot license and flight experience is a plus.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.