Flight Hardware Test Engineer
Engineering – Hardware /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Do you enjoy hands-on testing at the cutting edge of aerospace technology? Do you enjoy fast paced problem solving? Are you self-motivated and have a critical eye for flight safety and flight test details? Do you love the idea of more widely proliferated and safer flying machines, accessible to all? If so, you might be a good fit for the hardware flight testing team here at Merlin.
- Design and execute ground and flight tests for Merlin’s hardware and integrated aircraft systems
- Conduct subsystem and fully integrated vehicle testing, monitor real-time telemetry, perform flight data analysis, thoroughly document test results, and troubleshoot and triage issues
- Develop and implement engineering flight test processes
- Collaborate with other members of the engineering team to design and build test fixtures
- Coordinate with multiple teams and liaise between engineering and flight test groups in support of flight test objectives
- Maintain and create flight test operation documentation and test cards
- This position requires at least 50% travel to Merlin’s integration / flight test facility in the Mojave area.
- BS in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or a related subject.
- 5+ years direct experience with experimental flight test or a combination of equivalent formal training and experience.
- Knowledge of basic concepts of aircraft avionics, electrical, and mechanical systems.
- Enthusiastic willingness to do what needs to be done to help our flight test program succeed, including but not limited to: flying in small experimental airplanes, spending time on site in Mojave, CA during critical testing times, and learning new skills as necessary.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with avionics systems product development, including testing and troubleshooting at the system level as well as at the component level.
- Mojave, Denver
- At least 50% travel to Merlin hangar in Mojave if not located in Mojave area
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.