Technology Policy & Regulatory Manager
Washington, DC /
Certification and Quality – Certification and Quality /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
You will have experience in policy and regulatory development for AI, advanced aviation technology, or emerging business models in the U.S. or worldwide. You are a hopeful dreamer with a practical mindset who recognizes the vast potential of autonomous technology, but understands the need to be safe and careful in its implementation. You are a policy whiz who possesses the ability to understand aviation regulations deeply and can quickly navigate complex policy frameworks with ease.
- Manage the company’s near-term and long-term certification and regulatory strategy, plans, metrics, experts, and resources hand in hand with the Chief Policy Officer.
- Partner with certification, compliance, regulatory and engineering leads on technology projects to certify our autonomous technology with government agencies like the FAA, NASA, Department of Transportation, ICAO, EASA, or other global innovation-focused regulatory agencies
- Serve as the top aide and chief collaborator to the company’s certification, compliance, and regulatory team leads.
- Lead tool selection and management for project tracking across the global policy, compliance, safety, and regulatory affairs teams
- Drive productive cross-functional teamwork by establishing clear objectives and expectations and providing teams with the tools and resources they need to succeed.
- Ensure the global team of certification, compliance, and regulatory experts and consultants are world-class, functioning seamlessly to meet Merlin’s near-term and long-term goals.
- Demonstrated success managing complex policy and regulatory projects at a technology company, startup, or within a government agency
- Proven track record managing relationships with senior leaders in government, industry, and academia.
- Meticulous attention to detail with an ability to rapidly iterate
- Cool-headed and decisive in high-pressure situations.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Passion for emerging technologies like UAS, drones, eVTOL, autonomous vehicles, supersonic aircraft, AI, or similar emerging heavily regulated industries
- Travel 50%+
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.