Software Engineering Manager
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Merlin is an early stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft!
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you an experienced software engineering manager looking to work on an exciting aviation autonomy product? Do you have strong opinions about how to build better aircraft systems using modern software development methods? Do you enjoy guiding collaborative teams of talented engineers? Would you like to own key pieces of development for brand new flight capabilities? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in a Software Engineering Manager role here at Merlin.
- Drive the progress of Merlin’s rapid development autonomy system, with primary responsibility for the team designing, implementing, and testing the core platform software.
- Manage a talented and diverse group of software engineers developing an aircraft autonomy system.
- Provide leadership by example: define and implement process, write and test code, generate documentation, and ensure our product ships and performs to the highest standards.
- Work with Merlin’s world-class subject matter experts in autonomy, flight controls, avionics, and experimental flight test to develop and fly new capabilities.
- BS in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, or a related subject.
- 5+ years of experience developing software for aircraft systems.
- Deep knowledge of relevant software engineering topics, including C++, Linux, git, and open-source development tools.
- 2+ years leading teams to successful release and delivery of software.
- Experience designing, implementing, and testing software for greenfield projects.
- Knowledge of fixed wing aircraft flight controls and dynamics.
- Experience with aviation (ground school, flight school, pilot licenses a big plus).
- Experience with ROS (Robot Operating System) or similar robotics middleware and message passing frameworks.
- Experience with flight testing of aircraft of any type, including experimental and UAV.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.