NLP Engineer - Automatic Speech Recognition
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Merlin is an early stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft!
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you a machine learning expert looking for applications of this technology that truly enhance the world you live in? Would you like to work on enhancing the safety of aviation by building machines that can understand spoken language? Do you want to own a significant portion of a key system for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the natural language processing team working on automatic speech recognition here at Merlin Labs.
- Own the automatic speech recognition (ASR) portion of a speech-to-semantics system that is geared towards interacting with air-traffic communications.
- Build and improve ASR capabilities with your own expertise, by drawing on cutting edge research, and by solving problems with creative new solutions.
- Define performance metrics for ASR to meet company goals for the technology and work to meet target performance for our products.
- Contribute to developing the datasets needed to build and improve the overall system, finding relevant existing sources, building collection strategies where new datasets are needed, and processing datasets as needed for your work.
- Maintain currency with research in the field and share relevant developments with the wider team.
- Collaborate with other Natural Language Processing (NLP) engineers and across Merlin to assemble our final product.
- Masters or PhD in computer science or related field, or 5+ years of experience in the field
- Experience in the development of ASR solutions for research or commercial products
- Demonstrable deep knowledge of Python or C++, with working knowledge across other relevant languages such as Java and Bash
- Experience with deep learning techniques, including implementations via frameworks and libraries such as PyTorch, ArrayFire, and Tensorflow
- Experience developing production-quality software on teams using tools such as Jira, GitHub, and continuous integration pipelines to facilitate project management, code review, and testing
- Experience developing ASR datasets via data augmentation techniques
- Experience working with real world voice dataExperience with deploying NLP software to products
- Experience working on research challenge projects such as Interspeech, DARPA, or others
- Experience with aviation such as ground school, flight school, or a pilot license
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.