Vice President of Engineering
Engineering – Software Engineering /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
We seek a VP of Engineering who can lead our engineering organization as we continue to scale. Our VP of Engineering will build our team of software, hardware, aircraft integration, and systems engineers - in scale, maturity, and effectiveness - and provide leadership in day-to-day execution. You will report to the CTO and work closely with our Certification and Flight Test organizations, as well as the rest of the company, to play a critical role in shaping the company's progress toward delivering innovative aviation products.
You are an outstanding engineer and people manager who is passionate about building, developing, and leading teams. Your background as an engineer who has delivered innovative and complex products gives you the credibility and experience needed to guide our talented and diverse groups. You enjoy mentoring engineering managers and see your success in theirs as they grow and develop. You will make plans and plot the course, and cheer as your team delivers world-class autonomous aviation products with a strong commitment to safety and quality.
- Lead Merlin’s engineering team in day-to-day execution of our work from the front, with a spirit of collaboration, passion, and enthusiasm
- Ensure Merlin’s technical resources (people and tools) match the needs of our technical and business goals
- Develop the engineering team organizational plan to achieve current goals and prepare for future objectives
- Build the engineering organization by recruiting, mentoring, and managing the team as we scale from 30 to 60 people
- Work across disciplines, programs, and groups to ensure that our processes, tools, and systems are applicable and cohesive across the company so that we can stay efficient and effective
- Provide leadership by example, setting standards for technical excellence and rigor, and building an environment with high expectations and positive personal accountability
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering, or a related field
- 10+ years of experience managing engineering teams toward the delivery of innovative complex products with both hardware and software components
- Broad knowledge of technical areas relevant to aircraft system development, including engineering aspects of systems, software, hardware, controls, safety, and quality
- Demonstrably excellent communication, collaboration, and team-building skills
- Experience leading the successful scaling of engineering teams and organizations during a growth phase similar to ours
- Experience in delivering certified aviation or aerospace products is strongly preferred
- Demonstrable deep knowledge in at least one relevant technical area (such as safety critical software or development of aircraft avionics systems) is strongly preferred
- Strong preference for Boston office location (Hybrid in office/ WFH flexibility and complete relocation packages available)
- Travel required to support team meetings, integration and test activities, and industry outreach (10% or less).
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.