Boston, Denver, or Mojave /
Engineering – SME /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
We seek a product-focused engineer who will help define Merlin’s next major stage as we expand our reach into more aircraft.
You are an experienced aircraft systems engineer who understands how pilots fly airplanes. You’ve worked on flight decks with the systems hosted there that allow pilots to operate the aircraft. In addition to your engineering skills and knowledge, you are comfortable working with pilots, airline operators, industry groups, certification experts, and other subject matter experts. You are able to synthesize inputs and requirements from all of these stakeholders into product definitions that will allow the project to move ahead successfully. As the program progresses, you will move from a definition role into a design role, ensuring alignment between customer requirements and the product being built.
- Lead the technical definition of a new Merlin product.
- Collaborate closely with our internal certification, system safety, human factors, systems engineering, software engineering, and R&D teams to develop program requirements.
- Work with the CTO and VP Certification to define the technology and certification strategies needed to build the new product.
- Focus on identifying and designing the many required interfaces between Merlin’s system and existing aircraft equipment.
- Participate in external collaboration with our partners and customers to develop and explain our aircraft specific integration strategy.
- As the program matures, transition to a Chief Engineer role to see the product through development and certification, or transition to a subsequent new program Engineering Lead role as Merlin continues to grow.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering or a related engineering discipline
- 15+ years experience in aircraft systems development
- Extensive experience working on a range of aircraft, with good knowledge of flight deck systems and equipment
- Specific experience in avionics data interfaces, including flight management systems, automatic flight control systems, and other safety critical flight deck systems
- Experience in new product development, including gathering customer requirements and building new product definitions
- Broad knowledge of aircraft system development considerations, including aspects of certification, system safety, human factors, systems engineering, software engineering
- Experience working on specific aircraft types and their flight deck systems is strongly desired
- Expertise in flight deck systems integration
- Experience working directly with aviation regulators
- Knowledge of relevant airworthiness standards and operating requirements
- Travel required to support team meetings, customer interactions, and industry outreach (20% or less).
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.