Senior Avionics Electrical Engineer
Engineering – Hardware /
Merlin is an early stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft!
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you a creative and experienced electrical engineer who is passionate about developing systems on the forefront of technology? Do you believe you can build better aircraft systems using agile and robust development methods? Would you like to own a significant percentage of key systems for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in a Senior Avionics Electrical Engineer role here at Merlin Labs.
- Lead and perform PCBA design, layout, and testing for components of our aircraft autonomy system.
- Write and maintain electrical systems requirements documents, electrical load analyses, and other related documents for prototyping and certification.
- Write, maintain and execute test plans and design verification documents.
- Specify, identify, integrate and verify Commercial/Modified-Off-the-Shelf (COTS/MOTS) electronic subsystems for aircraft installation.
- Prepare and release electrical design and fabrication documentation for partners, vendors, and customers.
- Work with suppliers, managing their performance to requirements, budget and schedule.
- Provide guidance to other electrical engineers and technicians across the team working on electrical and electronic aspects of the system architecture and schematics including power, computer, electro-mechanical, interconnect systems, wireless communications, cable harnesses, packaging, cable routing, and user interfaces and controls.
- This position may require up to 50% travel to both domestic and international locations to support hardware integration.
- BS in Electrical or Aerospace Engineering.
- 10+ years of relevant systems level electrical systems and integration design experience for the aviation, aerospace, industries.
- Experience designing, laying out, and testing PCBAs for aviation systems.
- Experience with component specification, supplier interaction, and procurement processes.
- Experience integrating and debugging systems containing COTS/MOTS modules, custom circuits, software, sensors, and human / machine / graphical user interfaces.
- Working knowledge of integrating various components using standard interface protocols such as ARINC 429, RS-232, RS-422, and RS-485.
- Familiarity with lab test equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes, data acquisition, and bus analyzers.
- Experience with wire harness design and connector component selection and sourcing.
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
- Specific experience with aircraft avionics, communications, and power distribution and management systems.
- Working knowledge and understanding of the qualification and regulatory requirements for commercial and military aircraft. Specifically: RTCA D0-160, DO-178, DO-254; and MIL-STD-810.
- Hands-on capability in a lab/field setting and able to function comfortably as an electromechanical technician to build and prove out designs. (SMT soldering, drilling, wiring, crimping, use of hand tools, design/build of cable assemblies.)
- Hands-on experience with electro-mechanical systems such as motors and associated EMI/EMC design and qualification testing.
- Aviation/Aerospace wire harness design experience.
- Experience with design tools such as SolidWorks Electrical, Altium, or KiCAD.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.