Systems Safety Engineer
Certification and Quality – Certification and Quality /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you an experienced system safety engineer looking for something that you can’t find in big aerospace? Do you dream about helping with the development of safe aviation systems? If so, you might be a good fit for the System Safety Engineer Lead role here at Merlin.
- The System Safety Engineer is responsible for coordinating and managing all aspects of the system safety process for multiple Merlin products and Supplemental Type Certificates (STCs).
- Responsible for owning, developing and driving the safety case for Merlin’s systems in order to meet Merlin’s and regulatory requirements for safety and reliability.
- Employs safety analysis techniques which will be performed on the engineering products.
- Flows down safety requirements to the engineering teams and ensures they are documented in appropriate plans, processes, and procedures.
- Works with peers to develop and evolve processes for safety critical avionics hardware and software.
- Effectively and regularly communicates with direct management, the assigned and extended team (both internal or external), the FAA (and/or their delegates), as appropriate.
- Prepares and delivers presentations and participates in safety review meetings, system design meetings, program engineering review meetings, and change board meetings.
- Plans, hosts, and supports system safety working groups to validate the systems design to meet requirements.
- Spends the majority of your time working in a team environment by providing inputs to engineers, performing analyses, and writing reports.
- Bachelor's Degree in a Technical field preferred, or equivalent Avionics / Systems Safety experience
- 5 years of experience in system safety, systems design, or systems analysis. FAA DER a significant advantage.
- Engineering and/or product development as an engineer, or significant field experience is required
- Previous experience working with ARP 4754A, ARP 4761, DO-178B/C, DO-254, ISO 9001, AS9100
Preferred Skills, Experiences, & Talents
- Previous experience managing the safety aspects of high criticality aerospace systems which utilize software, airborne electronic hardware (including CEH devices), Flight Controls, and/or Flight Control mechanisms, Flight Management System and Display Systems.
- Experience with safety artifacts, FHAs (Functional Hazard Assessment), FMEAs (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis), SSAs (System Safety Assessment), Fault Trees, and other safety analyses.
- Knowledge of human factors and HMI is a plus
- Practical experience in electrical, mechanical, or aerospace engineering preferred.
- Experience working with Flight Controls is a plus
- Experience on part 23 and part 25 aircraft Reliability and Maintainability engineering knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and technical writing skills
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.