Engineering – Hardware /
Merlin is an early-stage autonomy company, building software to control sophisticated transportation systems. Our mission here at Merlin Labs is to develop hardware and software solutions that deliver the capability for aircraft to fly useful missions autonomously and safely. Our first product will be a certified system to bring automation to existing fixed wing aircraft.
We’re backed by some of the top institutional venture capitalists in the country, our headquarters are located in Boston with hubs in Denver, Los Angeles and the Mojave Desert. Come join our diverse, world class team, made up of people from places like Google, Airbus, Boeing, UTC, the US Navy, and the US Air Force.
All of the sky, none of the limits!
Are you a creative and experienced mechanical engineer who is passionate about developing systems at the forefront of aviation technology? Do you believe you can build better aircraft systems using agile and robust development methods? Would you like to own a significant percentage of key aspects for a new product? If so, you might be a good fit for the team in a Mechanical Engineer role here at Merlin Labs.
- Design, integrate, and test avionics and control components for aircraft and test labs
- Oversee design and analysis tasks for system integration including stress and model analyses
- Provide CAD work in support of design activities, including application of industry best-practices for GD&T
- Support and participate in testing activities – component, system development, and system certification – as needed including test plan creation, data analysis, and test report generation and documentation
- Prepare and coordinate mechanical design and fabrication drawings and related documents
- This position may require up to 25-50% travel, sometimes with short notice, to both domestic and international locations to support aircraft and system integration and testing
- BS in Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering and 5+ years technical work experience
- Advanced modeling experience with tools such as SolidWorks, Catia, OnShape, Fusion, or Creo
- Proven experience with rapid design cycles: taking a design from concept through detailed design, build, and test
- Experience leading activities such as mechanism design, controls design and analysis, environmental analysis (thermal, vibration, airflow), and structural analysis
- Outstanding organization, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation communication skills
- Working knowledge and understanding of the qualification and regulatory requirements for commercial and military aircraft - specifically: RTCA D0-160, DO-254; and MIL-STD-810
- Hands-on capability in a lab/field setting and able to function comfortably as an electromechanical technician to build and prove out designs (SMT soldering, drilling, use of hand tools, design/build of complicated mechanical assemblies)
- Hands-on experience with electro-mechanical systems such as motors and associated EMI/EMC design and qualification testing
- Expertise in weight-critical, high-performance design techniques for mechanical systems interface management
- Familiarity with lab test equipment, including oscilloscopes, multimeters, current probes, data acquisition, and bus analyzers.
- Experience with creating and interpreting system schematics, wiring diagrams, and subsystem block diagrams.
Merlin Labs offers an innovative, entrepreneurial, and team-focused startup environment. We also offer a top-notch benefits package (health, dental, life, unlimited vacation, and 401k with match) and work/life integration. Being part of the Merlin team allows you to become part of a small team that supports professional development while working together to achieve our mission.
Merlin Labs is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status. All job offers are contingent upon the candidate passing background, export control and reference checks.
Merlin Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates.