Software Engineer - Backend
Engineering – Engineering /
Meroxa is looking for talented engineers that are obsessed with creating intuitive, data-centric developer experiences. Currently to build real time data infrastructure, it means choosing between taking 6+ months to integrate a commercial product, 6+ months and your most skilled engineers' time to cobble together open source projects, or hiring a specialized team of experts at $200k+ per person to build and maintain your systems. We believe everyone regardless of expertise, company size, or available resources should be able to leverage real-time data infrastructure in minutes not months.
You’ll play a critical role in enabling Meroxa’s growth by building highly performant distributed systems with an emphasis on resiliency, security, and scalability. You will also build the tooling and internal systems essential for other Meroxa engineers to monitor, debug, and safely deploy our software.
If you are interested in...
- Addressing and solving complex problems at both an application and system level
- Collaborating effectively with teammates, technical partners, and the open source community
- Owning and managing all the phases of the software development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, testing, deployment, and support) and guide critical decisions correctly that fully consider software best practices, Meroxa's architecture, and customer requirements
- Designing, building, deploying, and maintaining microservices optimized for high-availability, throughput, fault tolerance, & performance.
- Challenging architectural choices we make in building platforms or products/services at Meroxa. Ensure technical decision making aligns with our brand ethos of ease of use and high developer productivity.
- Teaching and mentoring other engineers to level up our collective capabilities and knowledge
- Working in a culture of feedback, inclusion and engineering excellence
...Meroxa is the place for you, so fill out the application below :-)
You will be a fit for this role if...
- You have a strong technical background with software engineering and designing large scale systems.
- You have extensive experience with languages such as NodeJS, Ruby, or Java and the willingness to learn new technologies (although our main language is Go, there is no hard requirement that you be an expert in Go. We do expect that you are able to pick up Go fairly quickly).
- You have solid OOP and software design knowledge – you should know how to create software that’s extensible, reusable and meets desired architectural objectives.
- You prefer simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and have a good intuition for what will last and scale. You prioritize building the right thing that provides the most customer value.
- You work autonomously, are excited by new technologies, and will never back down from the challenges of scale
- You listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization, while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind.
- You work well cross-functionally and your co-workers at all levels and across all teams trust you.
Projects you may work on:
- Our soon to be open source Connect platform that allows users to get all the functionality of Kafka Connect without dependencies on the JVM or Zookeeper
- Resource that allows customers to write serverless functions to consume events from a data source in any language
- Ensuring our platform can run on Kubernetes deployments in any environment(cloud native, on-premise)
Benefits we offer:
Competitive salaries - We know you're in high demand, so we aim to be in the top 10% of salaries based on what you'd make as a Silicon Valley engineer.
Remote work - Work from where you want. We've been a remote first company from day one. Also, we supply whatever hardware and software you need to do your job from home.
Health, dental, & vision - Meroxa offers PPO and HMO plans for you, your family, or domestic partner. We pay 75% and you pay 25%
Unlimited vacation - We know you'll love working at Meroxa so much that you'll want to stay heads down every day and night but seriously we want you to take the time you need to bring your best self to work.
Paid parental leave - When you welcome a new baby, Meroxa encourages you to take up to 16 weeks leave as primary caregiver and up to 6 weeks leave as secondary caregiver, at 100% paid salary.
And more... We're constantly looking at ways we can improve our employee experience through service offerings(401k, student loan payback, discount programs, self service training, mental health, etc...)
Meroxa was founded by DeVaris Brown and Ali Hamidi. We've spent years working together building the world's best PaaS experience for web apps at Heroku and want to bring that same magical experience to the data ecosystem.
We've been building our platform since early 2020 and are backed by some amazing investors(Root Ventures, Amplify Partners, Village Global, Drive Capital, and Hustle Fund) and angels who've been in senior engineering and leadership roles at companies like GitHub, Looker, Heroku, Datadog, Autodesk, WePay, and TheRealReal.
Meroxa is an equal opportunity employer and celebrates diversity. If you’re smart and good at what you do, come as you are. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, and disability status.