Principal Data Scientist
San Francisco /
Engineering – Data Science /
WHAT WE DO
Imagine if every time you went to the doctor you paid cash upfront before you are treated, where every time you rented an apartment you paid 2 years cash upfront, or where your monthly paycheck is frequently delayed for months at a time. Then imagine doing that without a loan, credit card, or even bank accounts. This is everyday life for over 3 billion people in developing countries around the world. We are Migo, and we are on a mission to change this by re-inventing the way people access and use credit.
Through a simple API integration to our platform, companies can enable their customers to make purchases and pay bills on credit, or get personal loans. Leveraging proprietary datasets, Migo builds ML algorithms on customer phone records, bank records, and payment transactions to assess credit risk, enabling us to offer credit lines to individuals and small businesses. This credit line can be used to make purchases from a merchant or withdraw cash without the need for point-of-sale hardware or plastic cards. Because of our proprietary data and innovative technical solutions, Migo is able to provide credit to underbanked customers who are not typically covered by credit bureaus, a critical area of growth for developing countries.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Are you a Data Scientist ready to help us redefine credit for the 21st century? We are on a mission to leverage data from partners around the globe to perform credit scoring for 3 billion people. The opportunities for you to make an impact are limitless. We are looking for candidates who have expertise in:
- Understanding and clearly articulate trade-offs of various approaches to solving data
- Working and experimenting with large data-sets
- Feature engineering for machine learning
- Iterating on and experimenting with models
- Documenting your work clearly for others to follow.
- Bayesian statistical modeling
- Deep learning
- Quickly learning new tools.
You should be a clear and concise communicator, with an ability to communicate ideas to a wide range of stakeholders both technical and non-technical. You appreciate hearing different points of view and wait to hear other’s point of view before offering your own. You have a pragmatic approach to building systems, see multiple ways of solving problems, and are able to discuss the tradeoffs of each solution. You are technology agnostic with broad depth and breadth of experience using many different technologies.
Ideally you have traveled extensively or have lived in a developing country. You are empathetic, self-aware and respect all cultures. You are fun and enlightening to work with, and you have a good work / life balance with hobbies and interests you are happy to share with others. And you want to work in San Francisco.
HOW WE INTERVIEW AND HIRE
Our interview process begins with an introductory call to help you better understand the opportunity, give us a glimpse into your interests and motivations, and help you decide if Migo is the right place for you to be your happiest and most successful self. From there, we will conduct a technical screen with one of our data scientists so you can show us your skills. If all goes well, you will be invited onsite to interview with an interview panel from our data science and software engineering teams. Our onsite interview includes 3-4 technical rounds, as well as conversations around what it is like to work at Migo and how you would work with the team on a daily basis. It is designed to assess a broad range of skills so that we can gain a holistic understanding of what you bring to the team and where you shine. We pride ourselves on being transparent throughout the entire interview process with conversations around compensation and the impact you will make here at Migo.
WHY SHOULD YOU WORK AT MIGO?
When you come to work at Migo, you can be assured that your work will be deeply meaningful. You will spend your days solving challenging problems alongside smart and capable colleagues. Daily decisions here have tangible and immediate impact on millions of people. You will be given both the respect and the latitude to drive best-practices for building world-class systems. You will be fully supported by executive management, many of whom have engineering backgrounds and will share your concerns if you say we are accumulating too much technical debt.
One day you will look back and realize that you did some of the best work of your career here. You will have significantly increased your positive impact on the world during your career here. Migo is growing quickly and operating in a trillion-dollar market with few competitors. Your equity has a high chance of producing significant upside.
- Min BS degree in a relevant field required (Ph.D. preferred) or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of work experience building and deploying production machine-learned models
- Demonstrable history of writing clean, clear code as part of a team
- Fluency in Python and SQL
- Ability to own and deliver on large, multi-faceted projects with little guidance
- Experience with modern frameworks like PyTorch or Tensorflow
- Strong understanding of Bayesian Inference techniques
- Monte Carlo methods
- Distributed Computing tools like Dask, Spark, MLJob, Hadoop, or equivalent
- Mastery of computational frameworks such as PyTorch, Caffe, or Tensorflow
- AWS Sagemaker or equivalent data science workbench
- Medical/Dental/Vision - full coverage of health premiums, with 50% covered for spouse and dependents
- 12-week maternity/paternity leave
- Unlimited PTO
- Monthly contribution for wellness related activities and programs
- A chance to be part of something that makes a significant difference in people's lives