Sr. Product Designer
Pico Rivera, California /
Product Development /
Welcome to Million Dollar Baby Co.!
We have built the 6 best children’s furniture brands in the world-- from the most non-toxic, eco-conscious cribs on the market to the most iconic and award-winning designs in the industry. Based just east of downtown Los Angeles, we are a family business built on the talents of 100 smart, entrepreneurially-wired, and self-motivated people with diverse backgrounds and interests.
Over the years, we have developed 6 awesome brands of children’s furniture. It's our top priority to cultivate a place where you will learn, grow, and be valued. It’s important to me that all of our team members enjoy coming to work every day and make an impact not only to our company and our customers, but to our community as well.
Thanks for taking the time to apply and we hope to meet you soon,
As a Product Designer you will be behind everything that Million Dollar Baby creates. You will conceive of new products for our seven brands and walk them through the entire process from sketch to store shelf. We are looking for someone who can have a vision, communicate it and create it, on schedule. You will work independently as well as collaboratively with branding and sales teams to create products with great design merit that will excel in the market. You will be the lead designer on new products and must be able to research the market, set design goals, convince others of your work, produce amazing products, follow extremely detailed safety regulations to a T, advise other teams on cost and construction, work within factory limitations, and meet deadlines.
Ideas come from all places. You will have the freedom to explore new product categories that you think Million Dollar Baby should pursue, and you will receive input from the branding and sales teams as well as other designer. Your
opinions are most valuable. We are looking for a critical eye, hand, and mind that can dish out criticism as well as receive it. We work in a collaborative setting and your input will be most welcome on graphic design, photography, textiles, and trade show exhibits.
What you'll be doing:
- Prepare CAD files and renderings of design ideas, quickly sketch ideas to communicate during meetings, create flawless technical drawings for factories
- Monitor the sampling process of new products at factories to ensure products are made according to design
- Make occasional visits to our factories in Asia to review product samples and build positive working relationships
- Be aware of all the factors relating to physical appearance of the product, usability and safety
- Participate in new product planning, including studying the potential need for new products and filling voids in the marketplace
- Coordinate the look and function of product lines across all of Million Dollar Baby’s brands
- Evaluate design ideas based on factors such as appearance, safety, function, budget, production costs/methods, and market characteristics
- Read publications, attend design industry events, and study competing products and design styles to obtain perspective and generate design concepts
- Present internally to sales, branding and leadership teams
- Occasional travel to Asia may be necessary (1-3 times per year)
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Product Design, Industrial Design, Architecture, Environmental Design or related field required
- Design Skills; Quick ideation and form sketching
- Ability to envision, create and communicate a cohesive product collection using research and intuition
- Rendering beautiful images in Keyshot
- Photography or graphic design skills are a plus
- Working across disciplines: giving and receiving input on branding, graphic design, photography, etc.
- Using good judgment to make autonomous decisions
- Observing trends in juvenile and adult furniture design
- Ability to voice your opinion in a room full of people
- Solidworks expertise
- Adobe Creative Suite
- 100% of your health, dental and vision insurance monthly premiums paid by us!
- Flexible PTO because we respect the need for work/life harmony
- Company matching 401(k)
- Vacation reimbursement and health & wellness subsidy programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Matching charitable donations to the nonprofit organization of your choice
- Company-wide monthly celebrations - lunch is on us!
- Dog-friendly workplace, yes! You can bring your best friend to work
- Free MDB Co. swag + generous employee discount on products