North America /
Miso – Solutions /
What We’re Building at Miso and How We Work
For the last 20 years, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Spotify have defined what personalization is for billions of users around the world. There’s no question that their big data approach to user-centric personalization has been transformative and integral to their success. That said, their model of personalization is far out of reach for the tens of thousands of other marketplaces, retailers, and platforms that are online. The rest of us who aren’t $1T+ platforms can’t copy their playbook—we just don’t have the user data, the ML Ops infrastructure, and the data scientists to compete with them on their level.
Miso is in this sense the ultimate cheat code for everyone who is not a FANG company but who is operating at scale in terms of the size of their catalog and the volume and diversity of their userbase. We’re less than 1 year old as a SaaS platform, but we’re already on track to drive $100M in total revenue lift for our customers this year because we are quite simply not playing Google or Amazon’s personalization game. We’ve rewritten the playbook using over 10 years of our co-founders’ research on small data personalization to drive n=1 personalization engines that are trained to accurately predict every single user’s preferences, interests, and intent on any marketplace, eCommerce site, or media platform—all in real time.
Our goal is pretty simple: we want to level the playing field on personalized search and recommendations for everyone on the web, and do so without any tradeoffs that violate user privacy. We don’t do mobile fingerprinting, we don’t use third-party cookies, and we don’t horizontally mine data—because we don’t need to. We’re fully GDPR and CCPA compliant and our customers are able to uniquely personalize their UX for every visitor and user on-site instantly, even if they’re anonymous. And as we’re veterans of Alibaba, Rakuten, Mercari, Yahoo!, Tencent, Microsoft, and Google, we built Miso for enterprise scale from day one. We’ve already processed almost 1 billion unique datapoints to power our models, and have personalized 100 million searches and product discovery recommendations in the last 10 months.
There is a ton to build and scale with a long list of prospective brands, marketplaces, and platforms ready to become customers. If you feel you're perfect for the role, or even are hungry to grow into a role like this, please apply. We’re a player-coach culture, meaning you will get to build, have ownership and input on a wide variety of projects. Ultimately, we’re looking for hardworking, focused individuals that want to develop solutions for our customers.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have the expertise to cover everything below—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others. If this sounds exciting and you’re a hard worker, let's have a conversation.
What You’ll Be Accomplishing:
As a Solutions Architect, you’ll be working closely with the PMs and engineers at each new Miso qualified lead and customer to provide a clear path for them to go live with Miso quickly.
You’ll be with our customers every step of the way as they come to us with either the need to upgrade their search or product recommendations, or implement features and capabilities with Miso that they previously thought were impossible.
In this sense, you’re our customer’s Yoda for showing them the ways of the Force with Miso, so you’ll:
Listen to their product goals and UX aspirations and explain how they can make those dreams a reality with Miso in record time. You’ll be showing them demos of Miso specific to their UX and product goals. You’ll understand the science behind what we do well enough that you can explain how the magic happens. And you’ll be versed in the competing legacy solutions out there, so you can describe in-depth how we’re different.
● Answer technical integration questions during implementation, such as what data models work best or how we integrate with existing systems.
● Guide them on how to build with nuance and sophistication to get the most out of Miso. You’ll need to have a deep fluency with our Search and Recommendation Engine APIs that goes beyond our documentation to give customers a crystal-clear picture of how Miso fits into their exact use case, data, and infrastructure. The ideal candidate will be able to rapidly prototype and build proof-of-concepts to show customers how to achieve the core UX and outcomes they want.
● You’ll be available to our customers on an ongoing basis to go over new ideas and do regular check-ins and updates on Slack.
In addition to working directly with customers, you will also:
● Partner with our Solutions PM to prioritize and develop new applications of Miso’s APIs in terms of new API recipes, UX patterns, or ecosystem partner integrations.
● Partner with our executive team to think through new vertical solutions for some of the biggest marketplaces and segments of the online economy, including travel, food, retail, entertainment and education.
● Collaborate on deliverables such as FAQs, user guides, and various onboarding documents.
What We're Looking for
- 4+ years of experience building web or mobile applications, with expertise in full-stack development and software architecture patterns
- Experience working with a wide variety of technologies and systems, especially in the fast-growing world of headless eCommerce and API-first services
- Experience supporting large enterprise customers and/or partners in a customer-facing solution development role
- An empathetic, collaborative, communicative, and consultative work style
- Passionate about solving open-ended business problems with a combination of technology and creative thinking
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities
- Be comfortable talking about technical concepts and explaining how they work, both from a product feature and API architecture perspective
- Comfort working with cross-functional teams to drive product updates and new features
- Multilingual skills are a plus as our customers are global and part of our engineering team is in Taiwan (if you’re interested in learning Mandarin, we will sponsor this)
● Competitive health care coverage and paid family leave
● Globally remote with flexible work schedules to fit your needs
● 401(k) with match up to 4%
● Possible equity grants
● Coworking or home office stipend
● Paid time off—there when you want it and when you need it
We are looking for both a Solutions Architect and a Solutions Engineer at the same time. See posting here. So if you’re interested and you already know a great Solutions Engineer that you’d love to recruit in with you and continue working with, we will happily buy both of you an iPad Pro or new iPhone or Pixel. Or something else cool that fits. And we promise to not to call you both the Wonder Twins 😊