North America /
Miso – Solutions /
What We’re building at Miso and How We Work:
For the last 20 years, Google, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix and Spotify have defined what personalization is for billions of users around the world. There’s no question that their big data approach to user-centric personalization has been transformative and integral to their success. That said, their model of personalization is far out of reach for the tens of thousands of other marketplaces and retailers that are online. The rest of us who aren’t $1T+ platforms can’t copy their playbook—we just don’t have the user data, the ML Ops infrastructure, and the data scientists to compete with them on their level.
Miso is in this sense the ultimate cheat code for everyone who is not a FANG company but who is operating at scale in terms of the size of their catalog and the volume and diversity of their userbase. We’re less than 1 year old as a SaaS platform, but we’re already on track to drive $100M in total revenue lift for our customers this year because we are quite simply not playing Google or Amazon’s personalization game. We’ve rewritten the playbook using over 10 years of our co-founders’ research on small data personalization to drive n=1 personalization engines that are trained to accurately predict every single user’s preferences, interests, and intent on any marketplace, eCommerce site, or media platform—all in real time.
Our goal is pretty simple: we want to level the playing field on personalized search and recommendations for everyone on the web, and do so without any tradeoffs that violate user privacy. We don’t do mobile fingerprinting, we don’t use third-party cookies, and we don’t horizontally mine data—because we don’t need to. We’re fully GDPR and CCPA compliant and our customers are able to uniquely personalize their UX for every visitor and user on-site instantly, even if they’re anonymous. And as we’re veterans of Alibaba, Rakuten, Mercari, Yahoo!, Tencent, Microsoft, and Google, we built Miso for enterprise scale from day one. We’ve already processed almost 1 billion unique datapoints to power our models, and have personalized 100 million searches and product discovery recommendations in the last 10 months.
There is a ton to build and scale with a long list of prospective brands, marketplaces, and platforms ready to become customers. If you feel you're perfect for the role, or even are hungry to grow into a role like this, please apply. We’re a player-coach culture, meaning you will get to build and have ownership and input on a wide variety of projects. Ultimately, we’re looking for hardworking, focused individuals that want to develop solutions for our customers.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have the expertise to cover everything below—we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas and have some interest and capabilities in others. If this sounds exciting and you’re a hard worker, let's have a conversation.
What you’ll be accomplishing:
As a Solutions Engineer, you’ll be working closely with each customer’s PMs and engineers to work out a clear path for them to go live with Miso quickly and then hit the ground running on building new personalized features, products, and services with Miso’s APIs.
In this sense, you’re really the Yoda for showing customer the ways of the Force with Miso, so you’ll:
● Listen to their product goals and UX aspirations and likewise be able to explain how they can make those dreams a reality with Miso in record time.
● Answer technical integration questions on how they can load their data into Miso over API, bulk upload, or via our direct connections with the most popular data systems.
● Guide the customer on how to get the most out of Miso. Miso is a highly flexible platform that enables almost any personalization interface imaginable. You’ll need to have a deep fluency with our Search and Recommendation Engine APIs, as well as the science behind how Miso works, so that you can run demos and walk the customer through how to achieve the core UX and outcomes they really want.
● You’ll need to know your facts and numbers—including staying on top of the other competing legacy solutions out there, and being able to understand in-depth how we’re different.
● Our dream candidate should be able to not just read our Data and Engine API docs and follow along, they should also be able to rapidly prototype and build endless proof-of-concept examples.
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience, with a strong technical generalist background
- Experience working with customers and/or partners in a customer-facing solution development role
- Experience with code-level debugging with large enterprise customers
- 2+ years of production-level software developer experience with fluency in at least 2 programming languages
- An empathetic, collaborative, communicative, and consultative work style
- Experience supporting large enterprise customers
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities
- Intellectual curiosity and critical thinking skills
- Ability to think on your feet and dive into helping our users and partners with their technical issues
- Be comfortable talking about technical concepts and explaining how they work, both from a product feature and API architecture perspective
- Comfort with being on pager duty during nights and weekends (on a rotating weekly and monthly basis)
● Competitive health care coverage and paid family leave
● Globally remote with flexible work schedules to fit your needs
● 401(k) with match up to 4%
● Possible equity grants
● Coworking or home office stipend
● Paid time off—there when you want it and when you need it
We’re looking for both a Solutions Engineer and a Solutions Architect at the same time. See posting here. So if you’re interested and you already know a great Solutions Architect that you’d love to recruit in with you and continue working with, we will happily buy both of you an iPad Pro or new iPhone or Pixel. Or something else cool that fits. And we promise to not to call you both the Wonder Twins😊