Head of Food Science
San Francisco, CA
Product Development /
Mission Barns is where some of the world’s smartest, most passionate people are pioneering the future of food. We are scaling up and optimizing our process to provide sustainable, safe, and humane meat products to the world.
We are a venture-backed startup with decades of experience in cell biology, tissue engineering, media development, food science, bioreactor design, and more. We’re united by our collective drive to solve difficult problems, ask tough questions, and apply cutting-edge science and engineering. At Mission Barns, you’ll have the freedom to dream big and do the best work of your life.
- Full-time, exempt
- San Francisco, CA and Berkeley, CA - 100% onsite
- Full time employees enjoy medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, stock options, 401k, and ample opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Reports to the Vice President of Product
- Lead the Food Science at Mission Barns in both the R&D kitchen as well as partner with the bio-tech leadership team to ready our cultivated fat for commercial use
- Set and manage the food science development calendar in support of the product innovation and renovation timelines set annually by the VP of Product
- Directly manage all other food scientists on the team
- H. of Food Science will be required to execute their own bench top and pilot scale experiments on top of managing the other scientists
- Stay current on all emerging ingredient and processing technologies in support of Mission Barns innovation and developments goals
- Member of the Mission Barns Product Leadership team in partnership with the Product Development Director and Head of Food Manufacturing
- Support and contribute to Mission Barns' culture driven by our values of Optimism, Generosity, Ingenuity, and Ambition
- Committed to helping evolve our food system for a better world
- Have PhD in Food Science or other related field
- Are an expert regarding fat/lipids and have experience working with hydrocolloids in general
- Experienced product developer with a strong command of the latest ingredients and processing innovations involving plant based proteins
- 15+ years in a Food Science R&D environment with direct responsibility for managing from bench top through commercialization of a final consumer facing product
- Ability to build supplier relationships to support both product development and commercial production objectives
- Past experience working in a GMP manufacturing environment
- A leader demonstrated by the ability to motivate and inspire a team through a fast paced, startup work environment as the team cranks on hard chemistry opportunities, all in service to bringing our powerful, unicorn cultivated fat to market
- Ability to support the development and growth of both hard and soft skills in direct reports
- Analytical skills with experience building data sets that drive innovation related to the stability and organoleptic goals for each product
- Strong organization, oral and written communication skills
- Previous experience supporting patent application and IP creation
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast paced work environment
- Strong computer aptitude, which includes expertise with Microsoft Excel and Word; Google Office Suite
$120,000 - $155,000 a year
Full Time employees enjoy 99% coverage for medical, dental and vision benefits, pre-tax benefits, a 401K, stock options, a brand new state of the art office close to 101, I-80, walking distance to public transit (BART, MUNI, SamTrans), an unlimited supply of snacks, flavored waters, coffee, tea and ample career advancement as the company grows.
Mission Barns is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.