National Projects Intern
The Mission Continues is a national nonprofit organization founded in 2007, we are on a mission to connect veterans with under-resourced communities. We’re empowering veterans to continue their service, while empowering communities with the talent, skills and preparedness of veterans to generate visible impact. The Mission Continues has been recognized by the Draper Richards Foundation as one of the country's most socially innovative non-profit organizations.
This summer, The Mission Continues is offering an exciting opportunity to aspiring young professionals across the country to serve with our team! Interns will be empowered to build upon their current skill set, gain leadership experience and develop a new network through our Summer Internship Program. We are looking for college-level students, or recent graduates, that are passionate about civic leadership and veteran empowerment. Have other obligations this summer (i.e. working part-time somewhere else)? Traveling to Europe for two weeks? That’s fine! We’re flexible and can discuss schedules later.
You should know that we have five core values at The Mission Continues and we expect our interns to adhere to each one this summer: Work Hard, Trust, Learn & Grow, Respect and especially, Have Fun! We want you to grow personally and professionally, but at the same time, find great joy through our mission and programs. After you serve with us, our hope is that you continue serving in your community and empower others to follow your lead!
The National Projects Team has been focusing on the quality of service projects in both experience and execution. There is a lot of work that needs to be done in compiling historical data of service projects and crafting a "playbook" for what it means to scope, scale, and execute a top-notch service project. We’re looking for an intern to assist in the review, creation, editing, and implementation of standardized project planning tools, materials and resources. Our goal is to iterate and improve the quality of service projects at the national, regional and local level for the remainder of 2019 and beyond! You will report to the National Projects Manager and this position will be based out of our Houston office. This is an hourly position and you will be expected to work on a part-time 20 hours/week. $18-25 per hour, depending on experience.
The ideal candidate for this role finds excitement in learning and understanding the process of project management, supply chain, budgeting, and pursuing a certification in related fields such as Lean, Six Sigma, PM, CAPM.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Collect and review after action reports, lessons learned, community feedback, and participant surveys to identify trends, what works well, and areas of growth for service project planning and execution.
- Develop a comprehensive report of all data and research collected and present feedback, recommendations, and improvement plans for service project planning and execution.
- Create and compile documents, presentations, trackers, and research reports for the projects team as well as other functional teams within TMC.
- Assist the national projects team in creating a playbook of project planning that will be shared with TMC staff, Platoon Leaders, and service platoon leadership members.
- Review project related expenses to assess where costs are being allocated and present measures to reduce overhead and maximize the budget.
- Assess current business practices and research tools, resources, assets, platforms to improve the process of project management.
- Participate in bi-weekly virtual meetings with the national projects team to collect feedback on ongoing project planning and present updates on the improvement process.
- Attend scheduled syncs and meetings with ability to create meetings and calls with the national projects team as well as other functional teams within TMC.
- Attend and support at least one service project with your local platoon.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A passionate individual that has served in the field of logistics (embarkation, supply, operations) and/or a student that is pursuing higher education in project management, supply chain management, construction management, organizational management or related fields.
- Has a basic understanding of project related tools, equipment, resources, cost and safety measures
- Familiar with both research and evaluation; someone that has an interest in reviewing data to create reports and focus on meaningful results
- Proficient in technology platforms such as Microsoft products
- Strong writing and editing skills A strong team player who is also a self-starter with a desire to take on new challenges
- Must be flexible and able to work in a virtual setting while corresponding with staff in various locations around the country
- Familiarity with Salesforce, Google Suites, and Basecamp
- Experience with design software is a plus
- Military service is a plus
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 4/3. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.