Chief Program Officer (Preferred Locations, Remote)
Preferred Locations listed
Platoon Operations Team /
At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills, and preparedness to generate visible impact. We are investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
Reporting to the President, the Chief Program Officer (CPO) will serve as a critical member of the executive team and will collaboratively articulate, implement and operationalize the strategic vision, mission, and goals of the organization. The Chief Program Officer will oversee the teams responsible for all elements of supporting, resourcing, and managing veteran-led volunteer service platoons in 40+ cities across the country. The CPO will oversee all The Mission Continues programs, according to existing organization structure as well as lead integration, analysis and assessment for continuous improvements, adjustments, and changes.
Building on the organization’s established operations, the Chief Program Officer will lead the continued evolution of service platoon operations by ensuring a scalable model, developing a sustainable growth strategy, and increasing operations to align with organizational goals and objectives. The Chief Program Officer will also ensure that TMC’s veteran leaders are at the center of its work, as well as keep focus on creating positive experiences for the veteran volunteers who are committed to TMC’s mission and the platoons’ work in communities. The person in this position must be skilled at developing and coaching people and navigating relationships. To be successful, you are skilled at maintaining a collaborative people-first approach, and you are excited by process improvement and the opportunity to design, refine and implement easy-to-use, effective, and sustainable systems.
The ideal candidate for this role is a military veteran with an excellent track record of managing a complex operation at significant scale, experience coaching senior leaders and a desire to build awareness for our mission. The candidate for this role will need to be based in one of the following cities: DC, STL, LA, ATL, NYC, Houston, or Chicago.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
Service Platoon Growth:
• Develop and manage processes to measure progress against our strategic plan and enhance operational effectiveness; Ensure service platoon operations are executed across the country with a high level of quality and consistency.
• Create growth strategy to identify and expand operations into new markets that align with strategic objectives, operating model, and organizational resources.
• Oversee the design, build and continuous improvement of systems and processes to support service platoon operations in 40+ cities; lead the change management efforts that come with new organization-wide systems and policies.
• Ensure veteran leadership development opportunities are aligned with and responsive to the needs of our veteran leaders.
• Work closely with the finance department to budget and monitor programmatic operations to ensure sound fiscal and system management.
• Ensure the delivery of qualitative and quantitative goals and outcomes of programs.
Leadership, Team Management & Organizational Strategy:
• Actively participate in TMC’s Leadership Team (Directors + E-team) and Executive Team (E-team), representing programs and ensuring strong alignment between programs and other organizational departments.
• In coordination with the President and executive leadership team, play a key role in developing and implementing overall strategy, driving innovation, delivery, and management of the organization.
• Directly supervise directors and several managers; working closely with program staff to build their skills and confidence so that they can engage, encourage, and motivate all staff. Provide assistance and guidance on how to troubleshoot program and staff performance challenges.
• Guide and coach directors and managers on how to proactively engage in planning to improve program management and delivery for increased effectiveness and accountability.
• Create and sustain a positive and high-performing culture, lead change management initiatives through fostering innovation, collaboration, and engagement across stakeholder groups.
• Serve as a member of the organization's leadership team and contribute to the short-term and long-term planning processes and resource allocation decisions.
• Develop an inclusive, equitable team-based environment to motivate and inspire staff to work collaboratively toward vision and goal, by clearly communicating organizational vision.
• Coordinate with People Operations team to identify and create leadership and professional development opportunities for program staff.
Partnership Development and Thought Leadership:
• Partner with Development Team in establishing and executing strategic partnerships, commitments, and stewardship.
• Serve as key external voice and representative for The Mission Continues acting as ambassador, thought partner, and advocate with critical stakeholders in the veteran sector.
• Demonstrate commitment to continuous improvement and learning through engaging with Impact Team to understand effectiveness of platoon operations and improve based on learnings.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
• Bachelor's Degree plus 10+ years of professional experience including 5 years of managerial experience. Experience in military, nonprofit, government, or private sector with strategic planning skills and the ability to execute ambitious plans preferred.
• Demonstrated success coaching senior leaders and can articulate a systematic approach to managing people and performance.
• Strategic thinker with the ability to see both the big picture and the details and the ability to navigate a broad range of complex sets of work comfortably.
• Experience managing and synchronizing execution across multiple programs in multiple geographies.
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to inspire diverse audiences in multiple formats.
• Excellent problem-solving skills, a desire to take on new challenges and ability to deliver results in a rapidly growing, deadline-driven, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Must have the ability to travel at least 25% of the time.
• Advanced degree (MBA, MPA)
• Military experience preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to move on uneven terrain; carry objects; sit; reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. During events, employees are expected to be able to move around a job site and carry up to 50lbs. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to the Senior Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding.
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! The Mission Continues recognizes that diverse employees, veterans, and supporters are critical to our workforce and mission. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all team members are valued and can reach their full potential. We want a team that reflects our diversity, so that we can approach every mission with integrity, compassion, and authenticity. Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability benefits for all team members. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.