External Affairs Design Intern
Washington DC (preferred); Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY or St. Louis, MO
At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. We’re investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
This summer, The Mission Continues is offering an exciting opportunity to aspiring young professionals across the country to serve with our team! Interns will be empowered to build upon their current skill set, gain leadership experience and develop a new network through our Summer Internship Program. We are looking for college-level students, or recent graduates, that are passionate about civic leadership and veteran empowerment. Have other obligations this summer (i.e. working part-time somewhere else)? Traveling to Europe for two weeks? That’s fine! We’re flexible and can discuss schedules later.
You should know that we have five core values at The Mission Continues and we expect our interns to adhere to each one this summer: Work Hard, Trust, Learn & Grow, Respect and especially, Have Fun! We want you to grow personally and professionally, but at the same time, find great joy through our mission and programs. After you serve with us, our hope is that you continue serving in your community and empower others to follow your lead!
As an intern with the External Affairs team, you will have the opportunity to learn in a dynamic nonprofit environment, while providing quality design resources to the team and organization. Applicants should have a background in design and photography with a strong interest in supporting social causes—military-related or otherwise. This position will support staff across all regions and will require both in-person and virtual collaboration. The External Affairs Design Intern will be co-supervised by the Director of External Affairs and the Director of Strategic Communications; position will be based out of Washington DC (preferred); Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY or St. Louis, MO. This is an hourly position and you will be expected to work on a part-time 20 hours/week. $18-25 per hour, depending on experience.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Develop and create visual assets to support The Mission Continues programs and events, including social media graphics, photo editing, and marketing one-pagers.
- Work across teams to develop visual assets on an as needed basis.
- Lead sourcing photo storage solutions and editing and archiving existing photos.
- Assist with photography support for national and regional events.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Professional or academic experience in graphic design, including proficiency in Adobe - Creative Suite, specifically InDesign and Photoshop.
- Professional, academic experience or a strong personal interest in photography, including photo editing.
- Strong written and verbal communications, and an ability to work with diverse populations.
- A self-starter who is hungry for knowledge and experience; you learn quickly and you aren’t afraid to try new things.
- Ability to work events which can include: standing for long periods of time, walking extended distances, and operating with a cool head in a variety of weather conditions.
- Military service and/or a demonstrated passion for supporting under-resourced communities.
- Familiarity with website relationship management systems, specifically Salesforce.
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 4/22. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.