Social Media Coordinator
Flexible Location (Houston; Los Angeles; New York; St. Louis; Chicago; Washington, DC preferred)
The Mission Continues is a national organization that connects veterans with under-resourced communities in order to develop them as community leaders. We empower veterans to continue their service and give communities access to veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. Founded in 2007, The Mission Continues is grounded in the belief that veterans have an unwavering desire to continue serving their country, even if they can no longer do so in the military.
The External Affairs Department is seeking a Social Media Coordinator to join their Communications Team. Our Communications Team is responsible for sharing the stories of veteran leaders across the country who are making real impact in their communities—from service leadership opportunities to community service, making connections with fellow veterans and across the civilian-military divide. We’ve been growing and developing our social media presence over the last few years, and are in a place where we’re looking to take it to the next level.
In the past year, we’ve seen our audience grow particularly on new platforms like Instagram, become verified on Twitter and Facebook, increased our Facebook Live viewership by 300%, raised over $20K through social media giving, and dramatically expanded the application pool for our core programs through targeted advertising. We’re looking to turn this kind of growth into sustained engagement that helps us continue to expand.
A significant portion of how we get the word out to our supporters is through design. We are in constant need of imagery, from promoting our national service campaigns to sharing our impact through our annual report to expanding our bubble and advertising to people who may never have heard of us. We need someone with a keen eye for detail, who knows the power of images to sell a message, and who is ready to get into the proverbial—and sometimes literal—mud to help us get that great image that tells the world who we are.
As part of the team, you’ll be expected to wear quite a few hats, be flexible, and be ready to experiment. We’re always looking for new ways to get the word out about our work, running tests to see which content resonates the most with our audience, and we’re always looking for the next challenge. The ideal candidate for this role will have a passion for working with veterans and communities, as well as an interest in communications, public relations, graphic design and external relations (e.g. marketing, fundraising).
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
- Write content and create images to be shared across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn, and develop and pitch ideas for increasing engagement on those channels.
- Find and cultivate stories from our programs and translate them to social media & our impact reports. Create & maintain a catalog of content, containing stories, images, and quotes.
- Design graphics and layouts for multiple platforms including but not limited to: national service campaigns, social media, our website, donor appeals, advertising, impact reports and our annual report.
- Assist in the execution of major campaigns to engage veterans and volunteers across the country, including launching new programs, supporting national service campaigns, and more.
- Edit photography according to our brand standards, retouching and adding visual elements as needed.
- Work on-site at service projects sharing content live across our social channels.
- Pull monthly metrics across our channels, and help interpret what they tell us.
- Update our editorial content calendar.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A passionate individual who is excited to position The Mission Continues at the forefront of the national service movement
- Social media savvy—not just a familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, but knowledge of the ins and outs: you’ve done a Facebook Live, you stay up to date on what new features Instagram Stories are adding, you can thread tweets like a pro
- Strong narrative writing and proofreading skills. And by "strong" we mean "able to inspire while also being concise and on-brand"
- Intermediate to advanced experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, with previous experience designing for marketing, advertising campaigns, external communications, and collateral.
- Someone able to take a design concept or a rough idea, ideate on it, and deliver a solution that works across multiple platforms.
- Someone with excellent communication skills - both in print and in person - and good attention to detail.
- Experience with navigating through data to uncover key patterns and actionable takeaways; comfort with formule and manipulating data.
- Self-driven and can learn new systems and processes quickly.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Docs / Sheets
- Ability to work events which can include: stand for long periods of time, walking extended distances, and in a variety of weather conditions.
- Basic CSS / HTML; WordPress
- Familiarity with Facebook Business Manager
- Video editing
- Military service a plus
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! Please APPLY by 6/5! Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all full-time team members. In addition to these benefits, full-time staff members will have the opportunity to work from home once a week and you are 100% vested after your first year. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.